F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Moving to CBR600, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to CBR600, need opinions

Yeah, I know, opinions....they're like ********, everyone has one and most of them stink....

With that being said. I currently ride a Suzuki Katana 750. Big heavy bike. Carbs. I hate both. I want a smaller, fuel injected bike. I'm a Honda guy and have always wanted a CBR. SO! This leaves me with a F4i or RR. Personally, my personality is to buy the "better" of the two. But, being nearly 32 and only getting older, I'm thinking the F4i's riding posture might be better for me.

Here are my questions. I want F4i, so 01+, right? I've also read that 04+ things changed and that the pre's are better. I don't tend to take REAL long rides, if you'd like to try and talk me into an RR, I'll hear those arguements as well.

While, we're at it, what are the CBR's downfalls?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Default RE: Moving to CBR600, need opinions

Pegs mounted to low. At the track you will grind peg. Easily replaceable though (with aftermarket resets or rearset risers).

Aside from that i love it. If you can ride then the bike will be plenty fast for you. decent mid-range torque. Nice sounding, and its a screamer. The only common problem is the cct-l which is easily replaceable in a few hours.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 AM

Riding with pillion is ok (I love it, some hate it). Touring with pillion and luggage might be pushing it - will try a 5 day trip next year.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a '01 F4i and a '08 600RR. the F4i is obviously more comfortable, as the RR feels much more like a track ready machine. as for the years, a '01-'03 the F4i's were split seat (you have a seat, passanger has a seat....or you can put a solo cowl over the passanger seat). as for the '04-'06 F4i's, they are banana seat (meaning there is one continuous seat for you and your passanger, not split). you want a '01+ b/c thats when they started making them fuel injected.

now, for power. i wont say that the RR has a tremendous amount of power over the F4i, but maybe that its geared differently. doing 60mph in 6th on my F4i and just yanking on the throttle, the bike slowly builds up THEN takes off like a rocket! now w/ the RR.......60mph in 6th and yank the throttle and it reminds me (reminds ME) of a 1K. its just much more mid-range power.

in all honesty, the RR isnt terribly uncomfortable. it takes some getting used to, but you sometimes take the good w/ the bad, as the bike handles like a DREAM! but like i said, the seating position on the RR is much more aggressive but you DO get used to it and dont notice it anymore. i actually prefer the seating position on my RR over the F4i and im looking to get rearsets for the F4i to make it more aggressive.

i hope i was somewhat helpful. any other questions, be sure to ask!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like jaynd already nailed tha answer.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Good input Jaynd,one thing to keep in mind for the OP is that he's comparing an '08 RR to an '01 F4i. Pre-07's RR's would be a little heavier and have a wider seat. It would still be a more aggressive riding position and would probably handle better than an F4i too with equal riders. I love both bikes and ultimately want an '07 RR in the white but I love my F4i. It's comfortable to ride around for long periods of time and has plenty of power to scoot me around. I've also heard the brakes are better on an RR. I tend to think of the F4i is a sport/commuting bike whereas the RR is just a sport bike that people use for commuting.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 21K miles on an '06 600RR and loved every one of them. One of my good friends rides an '06 F4i and it's a beauty too. He rode my RR and didn't like the riding position at all.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

I'm thinking the F4i's riding posture might be better for me.
I'm 45 and I have a little problem in my neck and that makes the RRs unridable for me (I rode my buddies 05 1k a bunch and it was aweful), my neck cramped up and my hands go numb almost immediately, but if you don't have any problems you will be happy with the RR.

As far as seats go, if you have a passenger, the F4i is better, but neither is that great.

The thing is, you buy a bike based on what it will be used for, not for what it was designed for. If you live far from good twistie roads, then an RR or F4iis kinda dopey.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I'm thinking the F4i's riding posture might be better for me.
I'm 45 and I have a little problem in my neck and that makes the RRs unridable for me (I rode my buddies 05 1k a bunch and it was aweful), my neck cramped up and my hands go numb almost immediately, but if you don't have any problems you will be happy with the RR.

As far as seats go, if you have a passenger, the F4i is better, but neither is that great.

The thing is, you buy a bike based on what it will be used for, not for what it was designed for. If you live far from good twistie roads, then an RR or F4iis kinda dopey.

So if I take this farther... if you're going to buy a sport bike for twisties, buy a sport bike for twisties!! Just pull the trigger on the RR. My cousin bought an F4i, guess I'll have to try his out and find someone to let me take a spin on an RR.

Thanks for the answers guys. So 01+ on either. 04+ have the different seat. (which I assume you can buy a single and a cowl from an aftermarket company) They also changed the look a little then. But nothing engine or performance wise changed then. RR is a more aggressive look, feel, and tune/gearing. And the only bad part is the CCT.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Question on the CCT... have you replaced it with another Honda one or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Moving to CBR600, need opinions