F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....

ORIGINAL: seebeeare21

ORIGINAL: DThompson

Your reserve is calculated by a ratio of how you are riding your bike and what speed and such. It is not calculated by how much gas you have left in the tank.

That is why you are getting different numbers of gas mileages when you are comparing to other people. They should be ruffly the same though.
hes right...........the reserve gauge does come on when there is .9 gallons left but if you shift in everygear to 6th at 13k rpms, the bars are going to dissapear drastically faster than if you shift at 4k rpms. next time your reserve gauge comes on and about half of them are gone turn off your bike and shift at about half the rpm of what you normally do.......youll understand first hand. also i was pondering the gas mileage question also when i first got my f4i but it also depends on if you fill your tank when your bike is on its kickstand or if you sit on the bike a fill it up upright with you balancing it. it calculates for the 15-25 mile difference some of you are wondering about.
Thats what I meant is that the reserve will deplete according to how fast you are going and what not. Sorry I wasnt thinking when I posted that.
There is calculations going on though and it will tell you the rate of which you are using gas by how fast each bar starts flashing.

(If that doesnt make sense than just forget what I said, Im still out of it)

Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 PM

I wish I could get 40+ mpg cause my bike is marginally efficient then my car. The only time I got like 45 mpg was on day one & that was with me in 6th gear at 50 mph. After that, no matter how hard I try, I never get anything beyond 30-34 mpg. The worst I ever got was like 25mpg. I've just come to expect 30-34 mpg out of my bike.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 PM

'05 F4i Owner's Manual:

"When this indicator lights while riding, the amount of fuel remaining is approx. 0.92 US gal (3.5 litre). The fuel reserve segments will flash in sequence according to the distance traveled"

This is also confirmed in the service manual.

I guess there isn't a whole lot of calculating going on!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm plzed to hell with my bike then ..on average i do mostly city miles but i make it a point to do atleast one 80 mile ride a week ..i get 140 miles till i refuel but my reserve bars first pop up at170 giving me alittle over50 miles a gallon ..i run 87 and most of the time i shift my gears at about 6k right when the bike gets high pitched .. that and hell at 60mph in 6th gear it holds at 5k ...stock 04

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 AM

Try putting in a different sprocket and watch your mileage to to crap.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the same as I get, around 120 miles. I've been told to fill up at least every 170 miles. My first fill up went to around 225 miles (that's when I first got the bike and ran out of gas, not paying attention to the reserve indication). Different types of gas may also make for different results. Down here, the Shell gas seems to run better than the Chevron gas (different additives maybe?).

Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 AM

used 02 with k&n and 2bros slip on here. Reset my meter after i filled up and got around 160-165miles before my reserve bar popped up. So i'm guessing around 200 or so miles to the tank? Btw this is with 91 if anyone decides to bust my ***** about it. Seems like a fuel with more additives and higher octane might not be tuned for the bike but seems to ignite a lot better giving me better gas mileage. You have to hit 87 to reach 91 so its the same gas, the bike is tuned for 87 won't see any gains from 91 but it won't make the bike run any worse either.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Reserve at ~120 miles on the street, 80 miles at the track. 87 octane gas, 170 lb rider.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM

I get about 120 before the lights come on if I keep the R's up in the power range. If I keep the R's down at 6000 or below I get about 160 before the lights come on. As for different brands of gas there is no difference, it all comes from the same bulk facilities. The only different is the additives like Techron in Chevron's gas, these do nothing for fuel mileage they are strictly for cleaner burning and eliminating deposits. I recently took my F4i on a 492 mile ride up to Mt. St. Helens and I used Chevron, Shell, and Texaco gas in it. There were no differeneces in mileage or performance.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM

150 easy

Quick Reply: miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....