F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....

Also, how much do you weigh? I weigh 150 lbs and I can get 150 before my reserve hits. If you ride with passengers you will get worse mileage. How high do you ride your rpms? All these factors play a part. Have you done anything to your bike to increase performance? ie. sprocket, 520 conversion?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 AM

i get between 150-170 before the reserve light comes on. mine gets 48-53 mpg depending on how im riding

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM

I get about 122-125, and that's commuting almost exclusively to work in the city.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Your reserve is calculated by a ratio of how you are riding your bike and what speed and such. It is not calculated by how much gas you have left in the tank.

That is why you are getting different numbers of gas mileages when you are comparing to other people. They should be ruffly the same though.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: DThompson

Your reserve is calculated by a ratio of how you are riding your bike and what speed and such. It is not calculated by how much gas you have left in the tank.

That is why you are getting different numbers of gas mileages when you are comparing to other people. They should be ruffly the same though.
Are you sure about that? doesnt the manual say the reserve light comes on when you .9gal of gas left?

I usually get around 120-130miles before my light comes on, I am 180lbs, and ride in the upper RPM range most of time.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM

I thought the gas consumption calculations affected how fast the reserve bars increase after they first light up, not when they come on initially.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM

I really dont think there is any calculating involved. I could be wrong, but nowhere have I read there is a calculation, that I remember.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM

I weigh 230 almost so, maybe that is why I only get about 120 miles before the reserve bars come on. I used 93 octane and now im using 87 to see if there is a difference or not.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

if i'm careful i can get about 180. that's keeping the RPM's low and driving the speed limit with slow acceleration

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: DThompson

hes right...........the reserve gauge does come on when there is .9 gallons left but if you shift in everygear to 6th at 13k rpms, the bars are going to dissapear drastically faster than if you shift at 4k rpms. next time your reserve gauge comes on and about half of them are gone turn off your bike and shift at about half the rpm of what you normally do.......youll understand first hand. also i was pondering the gas mileage question also when i first got my f4i but it also depends on if you fill your tank when your bike is on its kickstand or if you sit on the bike a fill it up upright with you balancing it. it calculates for the 15-25 mile difference some of you are wondering about.

Quick Reply: miles per tank or reserve? which ever comes first....