CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Master vs Rivet (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/master-vs-rivet-101471/)

2H company 09-27-2009 09:25 PM

Master vs Rivet

Here goes my short story of failure...

Today I was finishing sprocket\chain swap. I cannot say it was very enjoyable, but had to be done.

Sooo, I successfully screwed the rivet link up. Installed master link (the chain came with both).

How necessary is it to switch back to the rivet link, and how soon should I do it?

Thx!!!

P.S. Incognito, thx for your write up. It was very helpful.

chainstretcher 09-27-2009 10:16 PM

While clip links are not all destined to fail I would definitely feel better with a rivet master link. My opinion would be to swap it out as soon as possible. And keep a close eye on it when you do ride on it.

PlayfulGod 09-27-2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher (Post 842033)
While clip links are not all destined to fail I would definitely feel better with a rivet master link. My opinion would be to swap it out as soon as possible. And keep a close eye on it when you do ride on it.

+:icon_wink:

2H company 09-27-2009 11:54 PM

Yeah, alright, that's what I expected to hear. I'd do the rivet link in a week or so.

Took her for a ride, freeway over 100. The link held well :)

I put -1/+2 sprockets and 520 chain, so far I like it better than the stock setup. Although it raised another problem. RPM got a bit higher and with my stock CCT the whole thing sound horrible. I'd prolly take her to a local shop to do the swap.

And thanks for your answers!

abeer1 09-28-2009 01:14 AM

If you're just riding on the street just use the rivet. The clip master link makes a lot more sense to someone that is racing and are swapping out chains whenever they switch their gearing. I don't have a problem using either one, just make sure your tension is correct on the chain and you won't have any issues.

Incognito 09-28-2009 04:21 AM

Cool brother ~ thanks :icon_goofygrin:

yog182 09-28-2009 10:48 AM

Did you put on a speedo healer for the correction of speed and mileage?

2H company 09-28-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 842109)
Cool brother ~ thanks :icon_goofygrin:

np man, the heroes must be recognized!

Did you put on a speedo healer for the correction of speed and mileage?
No, haven't done it yet. No money atm :icon_angel:

I'm curious about speedo though. Is it complicated to set up? Determination of the percentage?

MartiniRossy 09-28-2009 02:24 PM

I thought a clip would be ok for a while too when I put my new RK on. I was wrong. They come wit a rivet link for a reason. It's kind of a shock when you pull in the garage to clean your chain before heading up to Brainerd for the weekend and find the link clip missing.

2H company 09-28-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy (Post 842297)
It's kind of a shock when you pull in the garage to clean your chain before heading up to Brainerd for the weekend and find the link clip missing.

Indeed it is, damn...

I put on Regina 520 chain. I got a bit confused about the slack. The chain required 15mm, but the bike's specs say 25-30mm. Which one should I go with?