F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Manual CCT Or Back To Stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual CCT Or Back To Stock

Well I'll start another CCT post, but need to know which you would get. Right now I'm really tired of the weird sounding vibration I'm getting @ 5000-5500 rpms. I don't think you can hear it when I ride by, but it really bothers me. I was just going to get the stock one and replace it, but I don't want to do the same thing again in a few thousand miles. My bike only has 6000 miles on it and my buddy just picked up an all stock 02 F4i with less than 3500 miles and his CCT is ALOT louder than mine so I don't think it will last very long. But on the other hand with the manual tensioner how often will I have to adjust it? Is the APE tensioner better/stronger than the stock one? Right now I plan on getting the APE tensioner and we're going on a long ride the first weekend in June and I want it done before we leave, but I'll probably put it in some rainy day in the near future. I have already read on how to change the tensioner and I have had my bike apart enough to feel confident enough to do it myself. Let me know what you think.

-Jesse-

Old 04-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: Manual CCT Or Back To Stock

Poll no worky.

I've switched out my CCT once already and when I get back, plan to swap it again for a stock one. While I was home on leave, it rattled something furious and while no one else could hear it over the Yoshi pipe, "I" heard it and didn't like it. Those that swap for the APE swear by it, so I can't give you any input in that area. I plan to have the dealership change out the CCT again; it's a personal preference for me *shrug*. I'll probably replace the stock CCT again in a few thousand more miles, but that's one upgrade (APE) that I'm just not comfortable taking a leap of faith with. I'll pay the money for the dealer to do it so that if anything goes wrong, I know who's buying me a new engine. Good luck in your choice.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: stephygee

Poll no worky.

I've switched out my CCT once already and when I get back, plan to swap it again for a stock one. While I was home on leave, it rattled something furious and while no one else could hear it over the Yoshi pipe, "I" heard it and didn't like it. Those that swap for the APE swear by it, so I can't give you any input in that area. I plan to have the dealership change out the CCT again; it's a personal preference for me *shrug*. I'll probably replace the stock CCT again in a few thousand more miles, but that's one upgrade (APE) that I'm just not comfortable taking a leap of faith with. I'll pay the money for the dealer to do it so that if anything goes wrong, I know who's buying me a new engine. Good luck in your choice.
Thanks for your opinion, I also fixed the poll LOL. I'm still leaning twords the APE since I'll probably never have to change it again, but I'm concerned on how often I'll have to adjust it or if I'll just set it and forget about it. Thanks

-Jesse-

Old 04-16-2006, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Turnin20s
I'm still leaning twords the APE since I'll probably never have to change it again, but I'm concerned on how often I'll have to adjust it or if I'll just set it and forget about it. Thanks

-Jesse-

I'm in your shoes too man.
I hear the rattling & it drives me nuts. I just wanna hear a strong running motor instead of "rattling."

I'm leaning towards buying the APE this week.......spend $60 one time, instead of $50-60 on a stock one and then have to buy another stock one $50-60 when that one rattles.

Just check the tightness of the APE periodically to make sure it's all good to go, and throw some Loctite on there & it should be fine is what I'm thinking.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: snobrdrdan

ORIGINAL: Turnin20s
I'm still leaning twords the APE since I'll probably never have to change it again, but I'm concerned on how often I'll have to adjust it or if I'll just set it and forget about it. Thanks

-Jesse-

I'm in your shoes too man.
I hear the rattling & it drives me nuts. I just wanna hear a strong running motor instead of "rattling."

I'm leaning towards buying the APE this week.......spend $60 one time, instead of $50-60 on a stock one and then have to buy another stock one $50-60 when that one rattles.

Just check the tightness of the APE periodically to make sure it's all good to go, and throw some Loctite on there & it should be fine is what I'm thinking.
I just made a post in the CBR Zone so I'll wait to see what those guys say, but I think they will suggest the APE. I still think I'm going to get the Ape and check the tension everytime I change my oil or something like that.

-Jesse-

Old 04-17-2006, 12:34 AM

Can someone please post a picture of what this part looks like the orig one and a manaul one thanks

Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's no way to truly check the tension unless you take off the covers and check the cam chain itself...to know the specs that it should be at and then set the APE accordingly, but it's going to change at different loads or if you snap the throttle really hard...APE can only set to 1 tension and that's it.

i'd just mod the OEM part so the tip doesn't rattle anymor and your noise will be gone.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

there's no way to truly check the tension unless you take off the covers and check the cam chain itself...to know the specs that it should be at and then set the APE accordingly, but it's going to change at different loads or if you snap the throttle really hard...APE can only set to 1 tension and that's it.

i'd just mod the OEM part so the tip doesn't rattle anymor and your noise will be gone.

Ok I have heard about modding the orginal, but I don't really know what to do. Do you have any pictures or can you explain it for me? I might just go and get a new one and mod that and when I take mine out I'll mod that one and sell it to my buddy who needs one too. Some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jesse-

Old 04-18-2006, 10:05 AM

Heres tha only pic I could find right now.

-Jesse-

[IMG]local://upfiles/3901/C11B5D53DF7548BFA220AFF1420974BF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have some pix, but dunno how to post it :-\

Quick Reply: Manual CCT Or Back To Stock