F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

MAJOR Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAJOR Dilemma

I am here today in needof some advice.See I am in a situation like unlike any other.I am getting married next year and my financee and I are making arrangements for the wedding. we believe we have enough money saved for a decent wedding....but no honeymoon.

I told her that I would be willing to get rid of my bike, in order to help pay for the honeymoon(If you knew me well enough, you would KNOW that I would NEVER say that) so that we can have a nice honeymoon.

I seriously love my bike, she has been good to me...at the same time I have the love of my life next to me and I want to see her happy. What was funny was that she got a little upset with me that I would get rid of the bike..She even told me not to and that we could take the honeymoon later.

I KNOW she would allow me to buy another bike...the thing that bothers me, is WHEN will I be able to buy another bike:/ Unless your in my situation or a situation like this, it would be hard to fathom to do something this. I know I would say to myself 2 years ago that I would be f^*king nuts and here I stand today in the middle of the road[X(].

If I did sell the bike it would could with a Icon Jacket (think Large),gloves, Magnet tank bag, 1 medium HJC helmet (never worn) and *possibly 1 Shoei helmet (large - wore it about 2 weeks), have 2 masks for it (clear and mirror), Front and Rear kick stand, Oil change was done about 200 miles ago (changed oil right when I started the bike up the first week of April), new OEM air filter (change 3 weeks ago), have NKG Iridium spark plugs that I need to install, New battery (installed July of 07), also have misc. oils for it as well. 2 Winshields for it (the mirror that is currently on and the clear)
Has roughly 11.2k of miles oh and it's a 2003

[IMG]local://upfiles/16628/E49DE8ECCE954CF09D7BEFF2364D8216.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16628/FD9AB82AFE7C4643A1382AC9FDC38EDB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Default RE: MAJOR Dilemma

I have had a few bikes before. I have three in the garage right now. I would sell them for the honeymoon. You won't end up going for years and it won't be the same. You can get another bike. You can even get a better one some day, but for a week or two with your new wife somewhere itis worth it.

Just my .02

Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got 2 choices :

1- sell your bike, your wife is happy and you are because you have a honeymoon soon after your wedding. But when you come back, you're depressed about your bike.
2- Don't sell your bike, wait couple of more weeks and then go on honeymoon...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Don't sell the bike. The only reason they let you have a bike, is because you had the bike first and you told her - she'd be gone before the bike

Ok some women - none that I have ever dated - would love for you to have a bike. On the flip side... all of the women I have dated would bitch that you had the bike and she didn't get the new furniture for the spare room. Maybe not outright, but you'll know you did something wrong every day. You might have made the lunches, done the dishes, fed the pets, made supper and folded the sheets... but you'll know you did something wrong when at 6pm on a saturday evening you sit down to watch sports and she starts talking about how you never do anything around the house.

Truth be told. Women, can't live with them... pass the beer nuts.

If I sound bitter to you, I'd retort that it is experience

Don't sell the bike - give up something else (even if it is a coffee a day - squirel the money away).

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 AM

financially horrible decision...

but womeng do not understand that...

you have a bike to ride now...why sell it for something short term (yes meaningful), only to have to buy another later at more cost if the one now is paid off?

so the difference now is sex at honeymoon or no sex because no honeymoon...i say doesn't matter cause there won't be any sex after honeymoon anyway...AHHAHAHAHHAHHA

Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 AM

This thread clearly draws the line between - young and hopeful and crankier old men...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

First off, I'd say you have found a 'keeper' if she is willing to put your happiness before something as fleeting as a honeymoon.

But, if theanswer is a bike or a Honeymoon, then you are asking the wrong question. Something needs to change financially. A second job or something may be in your future. In order for you to afford children and retirement, you may need to start a new plan now. I don't know any particulars and I am probably way off base, but from what I remember about starting out, I don't remember having to deal with this type of issue. Besides, your bike isn't worth that much, when you go to buy another bike you will spend much more than you had gotten for this bike, you will be buying and selling yourself into the poor house. The flip side is that it a 2003 with 11000 miles, it seems like you don't ride that often anyway, so maybe it isn't such a loss and after it is gone you won't really miss it.

good luck with your choice.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
WOT

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't do it unless you just aren't that in to riding any more.

Don't sell the gear with the bike if you ever plan on getting another bike. You won't get much more for the bike with the gear and it's like throwing it away. Sell the gear later on ebay if needed.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM

I say sell it and invest that into starting your life with your new wife. Bikes come and go and you can always get another. If you really fear not being able to then maybe sit down and budget out a plan for getting one in a set amout of time. Just my .02, good luck to you guys!

One more thing, I would not sell the gear, just the bike.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

I appreciate everyone's response!

I love riding the bike..and would hate to get rid of it..not only because it's a bike but because it's my first bike and that I have it paid off.
So it's no financial burden to me and like someone said if needed I can get a second job OR I can post pone the wedding until later next year. I know of a lot of relationships go sour due to finances and I don't want to let my girl go (she truly is 1 of kind).
Its one thing to be engaged but still lead separate financial lives but when you get married everything get lumped together, including your income, expenses and credit.That being said, I'd rather start the marriage with money in the bank rather than digging deep into your pockets each month to pay off those wedding expenses (plus it allows me to keep the bike )

damn decisions, I think I should go out and buy another bike [8D]

Quick Reply: MAJOR Dilemma