F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lowering an f4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006 | 05:41 PM
Default RE: lowering an f4i

mine is lowered 1" by dropping the triple tree on the front forks.
You can lower the handle bars an inch by dropping the triple tree? Do you need a kit? Is it difficult?

Old 06-14-2006 | 08:37 PM

I lowered mine about 1" both the rear & the front end so the bike geometry stays the same. I got the pro's installed a lowering link for the rear and they put a 1" spacer on my handle bar to push it down far enough. I didn't notice any change in performance & the ride is as smooth as when it wasn't lowered. The only setback I encounter is after I lowered it that I need to cut an inch off my kickstand which is not really a big deal. My advice is, if you can't touch the ground dont' hesitate to lower it or buy a smaller bike. Let the professional bike mechanic do it for you to be on the safe side.

Old 06-14-2006 | 11:28 PM

i lowered mine an 1-1/2 inches took about an hour and the links were link $35 on ebay. had to have the kick stand cut and welded . the bike rides great does not bottom out and i get complements all the time on how it looks lowered.

Old 06-15-2006 | 02:56 AM

I'm 5'3" and I lowered my bike 1" using adjustable rear link and dropping the triples for the front. I actually didn't mind it at stock height and got use to just putting my left foot down but I found a used adjustable link for cheap I figured what the hell. I can always adjust it back to stock height if I fell that it affected the bike's handling. I really like having better footing and I didn't notice any difference in handling.

Old 06-15-2006 | 03:52 PM

This seems to be a highly debated issue. IMO, you should do what makes you comfortable and confident in your riding. I am 5'3" - my F4i has been lowered (both front and back) using the 1" dog bones and dropping the tripple tree. It is very stable and handles well. However, I do have to use caution and go more slowly over street humps, RR xings, large dips, etc. IMO giving up a little clearance is well worth the stability I get in return by being able to touch the ground firmly with both feet. In the corners, you will probably have to pull your feet up a bit (my husband does when he rides my bike). Touching at a stoplight with your toes is ok, but you have no leverage to push the bike back up if it tilts a little too much in a slow speed turn-around or such. Backing up (especially if there is ANY type of incline) is impossible for me without being able to plant both feet firmly on the ground to push.Anyway, good luck and let us know what you work out!

Old 06-15-2006 | 04:09 PM

i had an 00'R6 and i'm thinkin about dropping the front end on my F4i a 1/2" or so to quicken the steering. good idea? anybody done this?[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-15-2006 | 06:46 PM

mine is lowered 1 inch front and back and rides perfectly fine
you just feel the ground a bit more when the road is bumpy

and watch out from speed bumps!!

Old 06-15-2006 | 07:04 PM

How did you lower the front? What did you loosen to do it? ANy pictures? Thanks I'm 5'4 and tippy toe also and it suxs to try and back up..You look stupid when your with a buch of people and you push it backwards while they are sitting on theirs and doing it

Old 06-15-2006 | 07:25 PM

what is the most an f4i can be lowered? My wife is only 4'11".

Old 08-01-2006 | 08:26 PM

ALrighty, digging up an old post

My buddy just got a lowering link for his F4I. He's not sure if he wants to do the 1 inch or 3 inch drop. I'm pushing him to do the one inch, but, it's his bike. My question for ya is, how did you guys lift the rear of the bike to replace the rear link? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tylor

Quick Reply: lowering an f4i