F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Low sided for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low sided for the first time...

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

i did mine on my F4i the first day.. not exactly the best bike to be doing these low speed turns... i dont even think its possible to do the s turn in the 20x40 box on it since the handlebars dont turn as far as the reble i was riding the 2nd day because my clutch hand hurt so much from going in out in out 090238902932 times... lol i'd been riding for 5 years when I took the MSF i didnt learn anything but it was really fun I took it with my GF. I always wanted to take it a long time ago but my dad never let me he kept saying "here" as he threw the keys to our 1973 Honda CB350 at me "just ride around the block till you figure it out"

god that bike scared the **** out of me all the time cuz i was clueless rofl!
Its very possible, its called lean lol. and if you didnt learn nothing you didnt pay enough attention. Not diss what you do know, just that you can always learn new things or how to improve I dont care if you have been riding for 80 years. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Can't "lean" very much when you are only moving with the clutch and no gas in a tiny box =p

and I did learn something, I learned why you stand up when you go over a bump, I always did it but I never knew why.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 AM

some days ago i had the chance of experiencing the highside. we went to the other city to a bike meet, and at the morning of the next day before departure i lubed my chain. i didn't have something to block the spray from getting onto the wheel and the tire and the tire was lubed well too, when getting first left turn i got on the throttle and it slided about 30 degrees left. but i stayed in touch when the bike got the traction back and didn't even got to realize what happened until i was going straight already..[]

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 AM

You guys are so lucky to be able to do such training. I had to learn on myown; through magazines and fora as we don't have these courses in my country (we also don't have tracks). I heard that the authorities have made the passing test harder, but still proper training is always recommended. Wish I can go on one even if I have been riding for 5 years now.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 AM

MSF is a great course..only guy to fail in my class was the guy with the most experience...bad habits die hard I guess. I think I was on a Suzuki 250 something or other...it was heavier than the Rebel I was on the first day(crapped out on me on day 2) so I had to get a whole new feel before the test...bike sucked compared to the nimbleness of the Rebel

Goose

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Well I took my test many years ago and only failed one part. I had to go out to the State Police complex and did my test on a Kawasaki GPz 1100 (they did not have loaner bikes to take the test back then). Halfway through the test it started to rain. I went to do the last thing which was accelerate and stop at a certain point. I got up to speed, hit the brakes and slid so the bike was about half to three quarters on top of the point the front wheel was supposed to be at. The lady just chuckled and said that was pretty good since it was soaking wet.

Good luck with your next test.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 AM

I had a great time in MSF but kinda scary thing happenned...

A girl who was in my class high-sided 2 times (although slowly) and low-sided once over the weekend, granted she weighed about 80 lbs, was 5 ft nothing and had virtually no coordination what so ever. She got some one-on-one time before her test and managed to pass the test (barely)!

I have no idea how they could've passed her that's just dangerous!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM

That's kind of how it was in our class. there was about 3 people that we all looked at, and thought.. they should not be on the road especially on anything larger than these 250's. They all passed. Of course, I did not. The class was great, but now I need to ride my bike A LOT more. I noticed today that I was having problems remembering how to steer on it. Everything fealt wierd, like it was a new bike. I think since I was on one for about 10 hours over the weekend, I got to used to it. Now I have to learn how to ride my bike again. It was definitely worth it though. I don't know that I learned a ton, but it was definitely worth it. I did learn a few things though, and it was definitely worthgetting to practice some techniques on somebody elses bike. I have a buddy that has read through all of the manuals, and practiced all of the MSF techniques on his own, and he helped me learn to ride, so alot of the stuff he had already drilled into me. So alot of it was just review, but still a good class.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I got to do my MSF on a 500cc bike. A 250 would've seemed like a bicycle. One guy fell off his bike and ran into a fence and they PASSED him! It was his second time around. I couldn't believe it. If I ever see that guy riding around, I'm turning and heading the other way.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
gr8

Wait what is MSF? Motorcycle Safety im guessing. Im puting my F4i together all it needs is paint and some gas and ill be done. Im going to get my permit soon after its painted. I was thinking that all you had to do is take the 15 question test to get your permit, then soon after u could go and take your driveing test. How do you get a motorcycle license in Chicago? anyone from around here that can give me so pointers where to go.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 PM

MSF is Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's an organization that put together a bunch of courses to help teach safe riding habbits. You can just go take the riding test, but if you take the MSF course in Nebraska they will give you a certificate that you can cake to the DMV, and then you don't have to do the riding test. You do have to do the riding test in the class but it's alot easier to do it there than it is at the DMV. Or so I thought.

Quick Reply: Low sided for the first time...