F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

At a loss. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default At a loss. Advice please.

Fuel Pump issue and possibly no spark?

I jump the fuel pump and press start but no start....she turns over but never catches hold and fires off.

The fuel cut off relay is not working for some odd reason also.

What has been checked and works.

Head Lights and blinkers
Headlight relay
BAS Sensor
Engine kill relay
Kickstand switch
All fuses plus fuse box
Pink wire: Diode in the ignition checked out at 8.7 volts

What am I missing?

So far I've taken the Multimeter to everything I could touch and checking for power and I seem to can not figure this one out.
Can someone give me a list of what to check please?

Back story....Got the bike and it ran but the previous owner hacked the headlight wires up the day before I got it and it stopped running....I talked the guy down (A LOT) on the price...worse comes to worse I could part it out and either break even or come out on top.
The headlight wiring harness is fine now after I followed the diagram to the "T".

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

You said you jumped the fuel pump but didn't say if it was turning n and priming the system.
If so next step is to see if fuel is making it from the pump to the injectors (or even out of the pump). I do want to make sure- the fuel cut relay is not working, this is what you jumped? I'm not sure if there is anything else in line with this that may cause the issue to persist unless you get a new relay.
Then you could check spark.
We know it is getting air unless e intake ducts are blocked.

You could check spark first then fuel.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM

All I did was run a ground from Brown black fuel cut off relay to battery ground and boom instant pumping action. But if I do that and try to start then it's a no go and ignition...She turns over strong. Guess next thing to do is research how to check if fuel is going to injectors and replace the relay again.

Also I've checked every wire junstion connection on this bike and everything reveives or grounds out according to it's purpose but still no dice on fuel prime...which is odd cus multimeter is showing a current?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah. as scott mentioned, does the pump prime?

assuming it does, you need to check for spark and fuel.

1) check for spark: pull the plugs out one-by-one, ground them to something, and start the bike. be sure disconnect ur fuel pump. Do you see spark?

2) check for fuel: pull the fuel rail out; lay an old shirt or something under the injectors; start the bike. wet spots mean fuel is dropping.

from here, you can work backwards to figure out what's wrong.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
yeah. as scott mentioned, does the pump prime?

assuming it does, you need to check for spark and fuel.

1) check for spark: pull the plugs out one-by-one, ground them to something, and start the bike. be sure disconnect ur fuel pump. Do you see spark?

2) check for fuel: pull the fuel rail out; lay an old shirt or something under the injectors; start the bike. wet spots mean fuel is dropping.

from here, you can work backwards to figure out what's wrong.

Yes for spark.
Yes to prime when jumped.
I hear the engine cut off relay clicking when turning ignition on and off along with kill switch.

I've checked the pink wire/diode and reading 8.7 volts.

Seems like te fuel cut off relay is either not being ground or given power

Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM

Ok, I am going to pull the main wire harness that connects to BAS and headlight and re-do my work...maybe I over looked something? Lights come on blinkers and BAS sensor works...maybe I looped a ground back or a power wire back to something...I'll report back in a few.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM

Update: Rewire of main headlight harness went very well. Tidy it up some and they work....Still no power to Fuel cut relay tho which gives no fuel pump prime

Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM

What year F4i and which diagram? There are some subtle but important difference in the wire harness for the 01-03 and the 04-06 F4i. I know the hard copy of the manual I have has both diagrams but not sure if the pdf version does.

Another thing is the BAS sensor could be mounted crooked. BAS will prevent the fuel pump from priming. And if the PO was working near it, it could be the culprit. You said you checked the BAS but not how. Did you try bypassing it?

Kickstand sensor won't stop the fuel pump from priming. Killswitch will. And obviously the bike thinking the headlights aren't connected.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM

01 cbr 600 f4i.

I connected the 2 outer wires with a jumper to bypass the BAS.

Checked the volts of the kickstand sensor and bypassed it also and still no prime.

Headlights are on. Dim and bright switch works. I do not have a blinker relay or blinker bulbs/led plugged in. Would those also cause the bike not to prime?

I just finished double checking every connector from front to back including all new fuses. Te weird part is the Fuel Cut off relay is giving power according to the Multimeter but I seem to can not find power at the connectors on the underside of the tank on the fuel pump it self.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 AM

Dunno if the blinkers would affect it. And my knowledge of the starter system is based off an alarm wire up I did about 3 years aho on an 06. Aka vague and sketchy

I do vaguely remember on the 06 something about 2 relays, not including the starter relay, being in line of the ignition / fuel pump. But it's really vague.

Quick Reply: At a loss. Advice please.