F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking for a steering dampner!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a steering dampner!!

Need some insight from a few people. What the best kind? Good price? Where to get one?

How exactly do they work!! From what i was told it will help when making those tight turns. When i take them now it feels lik the bars want to just twist real hard inside and its hard to hold. Will this help that??

Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Looking for a steering dampner!!

Yes, steering dampers are designed to help keep the bars smooth - they act as a sort-of shock when hitting bumps and whatnot. It also helps prevents things like tank slappers from happening.

My recommendation is the GPR. Good damper, not the most expensive (will still run you ~$350 new), and is super easy to install on the F4i.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 AM

GPR is what Im getting after doing some looking around for a while.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM

huh? unless you are just hammering it on a track, an F4i does not need a steering damper. sure, some people like them- just to have them, just like adding a slip on adds 20hp to your bike.

before going and spending all that money on a steering damper, take a closer look at your riding style and the bike. are you loose on the bars and supporting yourself with your legs and torso? extreme example: you should be loose enough to take sharp corners with only your throttle hand. absolutely no pressure on the bars. try flapping your elbows like wings while taking a corner. if you cant do it your too tight on the bars.

if your squared away with your body position, then look closer at the bike-- is the tire pressure correct? are the tires in decent shape? suspension and sag set? steering head bearings in good shape and torqed correctly?just having worn front tires can cause all kinds of adverse effects on steering.

I know alot of people are all about steering dampers, but for the wrong reasons. they are actually using them as crutches for their own misunderstanding of how a bike is supposed to work. an f4i really doesnt need it unless your pulling power wheelies out of every corner, and even then, I dont think its neccessary.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 PM

I have money too blow so why not make me more confident on one wheel and hitting hard corners? Other than those two reasons then they are prob not worth $350!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: krash

huh? unless you are just hammering it on a track, an F4i does not need a steering damper. sure, some people like them- just to have them, just like adding a slip on adds 20hp to your bike.

before going and spending all that money on a steering damper, take a closer look at your riding style and the bike. are you loose on the bars and supporting yourself with your legs and torso? extreme example: you should be loose enough to take sharp corners with only your throttle hand. absolutely no pressure on the bars. try flapping your elbows like wings while taking a corner. if you cant do it your too tight on the bars.

if your squared away with your body position, then look closer at the bike-- is the tire pressure correct? are the tires in decent shape? suspension and sag set? steering head bearings in good shape and torqed correctly?just having worn front tires can cause all kinds of adverse effects on steering.

I know alot of people are all about steering dampers, but for the wrong reasons. they are actually using them as crutches for their own misunderstanding of how a bike is supposed to work. an f4i really doesnt need it unless your pulling power wheelies out of every corner, and even then, I dont think its neccessary.
i agree 100 percent with u krash, look at urself and how u ride then see how to get that strait first. i would only get a damper if i was stunting to purposely keep the bars strait

Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
July 2008 ROTM

A steering damper will help in situations like turning on bumpy roads, preventing steering hop and tank slappers, general alignment if you're doing things like wheelies or riding one handed, etc... There are lots of benefits of a damper. Major bike companies put them stock on their bikes for a reason.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 PM

i would think that a steering damper would help people riding in a STRAIGHTER line. i mean that's what i have a problem with on freeways. i feel like my bike is a little flimsy for me especially when it's windy. i get blown around like a rag doll. and i know it's not my riding style or whatever you wanna call it. cuz i also ride my bro's gsxr600 (squid bike, lol) around when i have no gas in mine and it rides so much easier and more stable. tell me not that a steering damper does not help at all, and if so then i wont get one... can you guys also list down the pros and cons of it too?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 PM

also going back to the purpose of this thread, where can you find steering dampers for a good price? i've seen lowest 350... any lower??

Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

ebay

Quick Reply: Looking for a steering dampner!!