F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking for lower right fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for lower right fairing

I got a 2001 f4i (Red/Black). I layed it over and my lower right fairing got some bad news done to it. If anyone has spare parts, or could find one at low cost...lemme kno!!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 AM

There is a rashed one on ebay at $35 right now. Also try your local craigslist you can find some great deals. I found a full erion exhaust on mine for $125 today, now I gotta find $125 i dont need.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad is it? You could probably fix it. Go to your local auto parts store and get yourself a fiberglass repair kit.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
How bad is it? You could probably fix it. Go to your local auto parts store and get yourself a fiberglass repair kit.

how do those work?
________
HotMandyCum cam

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Skoobydoobie, what is it with you and fiberglass? ABS plastic is what you want. OEM is ABS, and fiberglass will shatter when it is layed down, or you can have a piece of gravel or a rock hit it and shatter it. Fiberglass is cheaper and will not last as long. Look at the longivity of the bike, not the short term.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hey Stephens, with all due respects, I've used fiberglass to fix a couple of my fairings and it's held up solid. As long as you remove all the paint from the area you're working with and scuff it up good, it'll work.
Here's a repair/reinforcement on the rear fairing.

Name:  IMG_0856.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  92.9 KB

Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM

I see....my friend had fiberglass, and he went down and his side fairing, shattered all over the place. This is what I have seen happen. So I have always believed in ABS.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM

how do those work?
Basically, you have your fiberglass cloth (it's exactly what the name implies), resin, and hardener. You cut the cloth according to the size of the area to be repaired, then start layering the resin/hardener mix along with the fiberglass making sure you get all the air out of it. Two hours later and it's fully cured. Just make sure and follow the directions to the T. If you mix the wrong amount of resin/hardener it'll mess up the whole thing. BTW, Lowes & Home Depot have it too; about $30 for everything.

Last edited by Incognito; 02-18-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM

I see....my friend had fiberglass, and he went down and his side fairing, shattered all over the place. This is what I have seen happen. So I have always believed in ABS.
Yeah, I've heard of that too, that it's way more brittle. But for minor repairs I think it's OK to use FG.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stephens
Skoobydoobie, what is it with you and fiberglass? ABS plastic is what you want. OEM is ABS, and fiberglass will shatter when it is layed down, or you can have a piece of gravel or a rock hit it and shatter it. Fiberglass is cheaper and will not last as long. Look at the longivity of the bike, not the short term.
Dude, I'm talking about a REPAIR, not a replacement. Read the post, is says a fiberglass REPAIR kit. If you can fix a crack for less than 20 bucks, or buy a used fairng for say 100, what would you do? Not everyone is made of money and can afford a NEW OEM upper from the stealership for 500 bucks. And who wants to buy that "Taiwaneese" garbage sold on eBay that doesn't fit right, and is made from sub-standard low quality ABS. (Just because its ABS doesnt mean its good) I'm tryin to help a fellow broke *** poor boy rider get their sht fixed on the cheap. (Little money, excellent fix). And if done right it will out last the bike. Besides if fiberglass was so crappy then why do they make Corvettes outta such a cheap material, ever price one? 50K+ And the classics are worth more than that. (chek out the Barret-Jackson or Meccum auctions)

Quick Reply: Looking for lower right fairing