F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking at getting new fairings!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting new fairings!

I just want some opinions from you guys and what you guys would do.

Basically I'm planning on buying new fairings for my bike, The ones I have now are aftermarket chinese and have alot of broken tabs and aren't the pretiest, They've also been down on both sides and have alot of scrapes from PO. I'm looking at buying new ones and I just want to see what color you guys would go with. I can either stick with the stock red and black fairings with the Yellow F4I logo.

*Red and Black*

Honda CBR600F4i 2001-2003 Red Edition

Or I can have them custom make me the Grey and Black Fairings, BUT... If I go with this option and I have to find the Tank Stickers and get this color matched with the fairings, probably about $150 extra on top of the fairings.

https://i.imgur.com/hH0Ld.jpg

I'm just curious as to what you guys would do and if you think it would be worth the trouble and money to get the charcoal grey.

Money is somewhat an issue but this is my baby and I like to spend top dollar for her.

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM

i got mine off ebay for like $350, they look great in person. just make sure you get injection molded fairings and not press molded.... much better fit and no need to trim injection molded fairings.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You really need to decide what you want. It's your bike.
If I needed all new fairings for mine, I'd do something custom or at least rare. But that's just me...

Tank stickers are cheap and super easy to find. That part should not be a factor.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM

I like the charcoal Gray/Grey look. But regarding the tank stickers....we have the metal 'RED' tank. You said to possibly keep stock at red/black. Unless you painted it already. You would have to spend $300 on just tank paint first, then the $150 on the stickers on top of that. Unless they make a sticker to cover the entire tank..... That price is a local price here in phoenix

Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM
October 2011 ROTM

The charcoal/black is a cool and different scheme. However, if money is tight don't do it cause you will end up either putting more money than you budget to get the tank painted to match so that will put you in a worse financial situation or you won't get the tank painted to match then the bike won't look great either. If the tank is in good shape and does not need to be painted then stick with the red/black. Also the charcoal/black screams aftermarket as that is not a factory scheme but then again so does the red/black as the factory never added PGM-FI under the F4i on the side fairings.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back b/f OEM-type fairing replacements were common like today, race fairings (which were either ABS or fiberglass) adapted to street, were the norm. Basically b/c they were less expensive than getting actual OEM replacements. Of course w/ race fairings, you *had* to paint them to either match the tank or paint both tank & fairings to match another color. So really, there wasn't much option back then if you wanted the bike to be uniform in appearance. However, today, you have that option w/ OEM type fairings.

Like 74demon said, you need to decide what you really want. Do you want the bike to remain stock looking like it did OEM? ...Or, do you want it to be custom to your own liking?

If the latter, yes, you'll need to have the tank painted to match the custom kit. However, I don't think it has to be expensive to do the tank. Given that the paint is grey/matte black, you could have the tank painted the same color w/ new Honda tank decal applied.

Personally, I like that custom grey/matte black kit. Its custom but has a nice OEM look to it as well (best of both worlds). Its one of the best aftermarket color/color combos I've seen.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 AM

My plan originally was to have the red and black, about a month ago I started saving up to pay for a new set of fairings and was stuck on what color combo to do. IF I get the grey I will be color matching but I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper to buy the stickers online and have him put them on or have him just paint the black part on the tank to match the side fairings. I'm stuck on grey right now and I don't pay any bills right now so it all goes to my bike. Just getting opinions from you guys and some of my bike buddies. Thank you for your input and if you guys have any good suggestions as parts to upgrade, or things I should be looking into in the near future that you guys are wanting to do let me know, I like customizing!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 PM

I really like the grey/black. If you dont order them, I just might!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 AM

The black/grey looks awsome however i would be afraid of how the tank would turn out. But on the other hand i'm pretty sure that if you buy a set of red/black there will also be a slight missmatch in colors between the tank and new farings.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 AM

Those charcoal/black fairings look great! I've been debating on changing the color scheme on mine for a couple years now and have never seen that color scheme. Not saying I'm going to do it because I probably won't but IF I were going to, thats what I would do!

Quick Reply: Looking at getting new fairings!