F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Looking at getting a f4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a f4i

Hi all; first post here, looking to getting my first bike, found a pretty good deal on a 02 f4i with 18k miles for 2 grand. I'm 18 (I know I'll get crap for it) been on 2 wheels with dirtbikes and everything since I was about 5. Took the motorcycle safety corse and feel pretty comfortable with this as a starting bike.
Anyway was also curious what people think about insurance
I own it outright so should I get full coverage? Or just limited collision and all the other stuff that's needed my law? I'm looking at progressive insurance and they seem to be priced pretty fair.
Let me what what you guys think,
Thanks!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How much coverage you get is up to you. The minimum liability doesn't cover very much. If you cause more damage that your limits, you will get sued for the rest. If you hurt someone, the cost will be way over minimum. Guard rails are expensive too.

You don't need full coverage, but know that when you crash, and eventually you will, repairs to your bike are on you. Weigh the replacement value vs. how much premiums you spend. For example, I wouldn't spend $2500/year on insurance to cover a $2000 bike. Any big crash of theft will end up a total loss and you will be paid book value less deductable, which isn't usually very much on an older bike.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
How much coverage you get is up to you. The minimum liability doesn't cover very much. If you cause more damage that your limits, you will get sued for the rest. If you hurt someone, the cost will be way over minimum. Guard rails are expensive too.

You don't need full coverage, but know that when you crash, and eventually you will, repairs to your bike are on you. Weigh the replacement value vs. how much premiums you spend. For example, I wouldn't spend $2500/year on insurance to cover a $2000 bike. Any big crash of theft will end up a total loss and you will be paid book value less deductable, which isn't usually very much on an older bike.
Soo up the limits on the other stuff and maybe just limited collision? I know when an accident happens it's not gonna be worth fixing the bike, so I don't think I need full collision. I'm just seeing that there is so many options not sure what I need

Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Put your liability limits high enough to cover a decent amount of damage. Your trying to find the balance between protecting yourself and premium costs.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Put your liability limits high enough to cover a decent amount of damage. Your trying to find the balance between protecting yourself and premium costs.
Alright thanks for the help! How does this sound
Bodily injury liability - 50k person/100k accident
Compulsory bodily injury - 20k person/ 40k accident
Property damage liability - 25k
Uninsured motorist - 20k
Medical payments - 25k
Limited collision 500$ deductible

Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM

I pay £280 / year with up to a £5 million payout if I somehow **** that much up. I'm 23 with 1 year no claims bonus.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

When I got my F4i progressive quoted me $30/month for liability, $300/month for full. Needless to say I went liability. 10yrs later then money I've saved could buy me a couple more F4i's.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
When I got my F4i progressive quoted me $30/month for liability, $300/month for full. Needless to say I went liability. 10yrs later then money I've saved could buy me a couple more F4i's.
If I may ask, do you know what your limits are? And do you have collision or no collision at All?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 PM

So if I don't get collision at all, it's looking like a where from 20$-50$ a month. Or I can roads the limits a lot and do limit collision and it's 90$ a month, that's great but I only need the bike insured for the Spring summer and fall...

Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 PM

That's awesome that you're looking at getting your first bike man! If people throw shade just brush it off. I'm also 18 and got my first bike about 6 months ago, I ride a '06 F4i as well. I have progressive and only got collision. Full coverage just isn't worth it for a bike that isn't worth that much. I love the bike, it has super good handling, and it's got some power behind it. Good luck man!

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a f4i