F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Longest Trip?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longest Trip?

well, im thinkin about making my first real long trip on my f4i. its a 12 hour ride, i was wondering if anyone has rode this distance before, its 700 miles. i want some opinions before i go breaking my back riding this long haha. i drive it in my truck alot so i know the route its all interstate for the most part and about 30 mins on back roads but for the majority of the trip its all interstate. so anyone who has made the distance let me know how it went
Thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure have... did a 5 day trip last summer on mine... I've got a ride report somewhere hear.
Anyhow day 5 I did 1000 miles in 17.5 hours.

Tips? I've given a lot of comments in past posts... however - the basics are:

- Stay hydrated
- Don't speed
- Stop if you are tired, don't play hero because that is when you will get hurt
- Keep moving in the saddle, once you are sore, you will be the rest of the ride.
- Wear good gear. A full textile setup will keep you warm/cool/dry
- Wear ear plugs
- Practice. Not many people can jump from 100-200 mile days to 700+ mile days in one shot. You can do it, but you might not enjoy it.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=671850#671850
https://cbrforum.com/forum/road-trips-30/five-days-cbr-69433/
https://cbrforum.com/forum/road-trips-30/some-thoughts-about-farkles-touring-80937/

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Sure.

1750 miles in two days and change.

It's doable as long as...you are in reasonably good physical shape. If you're not, it will be torture. Suggestions:

Move the clip ons up and back. Loosen the locking nuts and raise them to the top of the fork tube. Take out that little locking ring. You don't need it. Even a half inch makes a difference in comfort.

Think real carefully about gear. You need something with a wide temperature range, usually, meaning a mesh jacket with armor at the light end and something warm with a liner for the cold end.

Get good rain gear. When touring, you need it. The F4i loves wet roads, with good tires. Carry a little Rain-X for your helmet shield.

Carry a tire kit. If you need it, you'll need it badly. Stop N Go makes a good one.

Consider a good tailpack and a backpack to carry your stuff. What you can't fit into that combination, you don't need.

Stop a lot. Rests are critical to maintain your alertness. If you're an early morning person, leave as early as you can and the first 500 miles will zip by.

Try a 200-miler first to see what starts hurting. It varies by individual, but most sport riders get it in the wrists, the shoulder blades and the butt bone, not necessarily in that order. If your tailbone is a problem, a pair of good padded bicycle shorts under riding pants will help.

For my money, nothing is more fun than a long, light gear tour on a sportbike.

--Paul

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by woot
Sure have... did a 5 day trip last summer on mine... I've got a ride report somewhere hear.
Anyhow day 5 I did 1000 miles in 17.5 hours.

Tips? I've given a lot of comments in past posts... however - the basics are:

- Stay hydrated
- Don't speed
- Stop if you are tired, don't play hero because that is when you will get hurt
- Keep moving in the saddle, once you are sore, you will be the rest of the ride.
- Wear good gear. A full textile setup will keep you warm/cool/dry
- Wear ear plugs
- Practice. Not many people can jump from 100-200 mile days to 700+ mile days in one shot. You can do it, but you might not enjoy it.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=671850#671850
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69433
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80937
ehh..I once rode from rio grande city in texas to laredo, san antonio and back with flip flops and a wife-beater!
lol, J/K!
seriously though, one thing i did regret was not wearing a mesh, textile jacket, it got very hot very fast in my honda leathers ,and ditto about the ear-plugs, 3 to 4 hours of wind and engine hum will leave your ears ringin!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

ear plugs ftw.

I did a 4 hour ride from Dallas to Houston w/o plugs and met someone at the mall straight from the ride, everything sounded quiet I could hardly hear her for about 30 min she had to really speak up.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM

I'm planning on taking a 2000mi roundtrip in the end of May... this is all good information! Please post after the trip and let us know how it went/what you learned !

Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Honestly, I have a 03f4i, and riding long distances suck on it. The longest trip I've rode was a 280 mi. trip... it was mainly just cruising on the highways around where I live, but at the end of the ride, I was more sore then when I go to work lol

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm in flint, michigan and have a trip planned for the first week of june down to atlana, georgia. This will be my first "long trip". Fatherest I've gone in a day is about 300 miles. So far I've got on the checklist
-Rain gear
-Stop and Go tire compact tire plug kit
-co2 tire inflator by genuine innovations, the ultraflate plus
-allen wreches, other wrenches, screwdrivers common use to at least get the battery out in case it takes a crap
-installed a 12v accessory outlet on the bike in case phone dies and get stranded
-gps
-map in case gps fails
-ear plugs
-sport tribag system from cortech to hold gear and clothes
-joe rocket textile jacket w/ textile pants and boots. jacket and pants have removable liners and vents for air.
-installed a full electronic cruise control system just this week, no chance to try it out, started snowing again. This should save my wrist and back being able to move around more the on bike.

Last edited by LoneWolf04; 04-06-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 PM

dont forget some beef jerkey!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention. A Throttlemeister throttle tensioner is a good addition. Light and well made, it will give you some relief on the throttle hand.

--Paul

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Longest Trip?