F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

List your sus. Settings and weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Exactly. I just set all mine the other day to be "in the middle". And it works, I can't really feel a noticeable difference because I don't stop, change it really quick, and get back on. But how do you adjust the shock? I have the tools, however it won't click one way or the other. This is even when I have it up on the rear stand.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero1080
^Exactly. I just set all mine the other day to be "in the middle". And it works, I can't really feel a noticeable difference because I don't stop, change it really quick, and get back on. But how do you adjust the shock? I have the tools, however it won't click one way or the other. This is even when I have it up on the rear stand.
I assume you're using a spanner wrench, so you just put the hook in one of the square holes and try to turn it. It should be pretty tough, but should just pop to the next one once you get it.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 AM

I don't know my settings - but I do know how I set them

started by setting the sag -- I had to work hard to get the rear down to 25mm sag and the front STARTED at 50mm of sag. New springs required at that point as cranking enough preload into it would reduce travel too much.

Didn't order springs - brought an RR race bike.

So the F4 got down to 35mm front sag -- because any more bottomed it out brutally even with too much damping - bottoming out means less grip when it pogos.

If you have it set really hard because you think it gives better feed back - get some zip ties and measure your suspension travel on a normal ride. If you are using all of it then you're probably not where you think you are.

The biggest thing is getting the right spring to start with... and to get started on that road find out what your sag is right now.

Now once you have sag - it is time to get that damping right -- time to start reading manuals... and finding a track where you can actually push it hard enough to see what it does.

For me the F4 would rebound too early - and it would just run wider and wider the harder it was pushed. It also ran out of ground clearance under compression - far too soft at factory settings for MY weight and speed.

Adding a few mm to the rear ride height did help -- but really revalving or better yet buying an aftermarket unit setup for one's own weight.

--

Really the adjustments on the F4/F4i will only change it from being a deep wallow to a shallow wallow (if you weigh more than say 170 and ride hard). That is fine for the street because without doubling the posted speed limits you won't actually be pushing the bike that hard.

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-19-2010, 11:02 AM

How do you measure front sag? I have zip ties on there and under extreme braking I'm about 1 inch away from the bottom triple.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 PM

you need a friend and you do it while stationary.

Basically - put on your gear.

Measure how it sits with no weight
Measure how it sits with you on it
Measure how it sits when you lift it off the ground

The difference from you on to off should be ~25-35mm depending. On the track I aim for ~25mm, 50mm is way too much.

The more it is, the more travel is just used up by you sitting on it.

I highly recommend finding a good tuning guide for specifics... or a racer friend who wants some free beer.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woot
I highly recommend finding a good tuning guide for specifics... or a racer friend who wants some free beer.
This works really well: Sport Rider Suspension Setup Guide. But he'll still need a friend & beer

Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 PM

I've read that article. Great read.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 AM

When I'm trying to change it to the next "groove" though, the bike is almost going to fall off the stand I'm tugging that hard.

But if I'm just riding on the street, I don't need to worry about "tuning" my suspension do I? It just seems like it'd be a comfort factor, and personal preference.

For the record, I'm a total suspension noob, and it takes me forever to figure this stuff out, any good articles?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by woot
Really the adjustments on the F4/F4i will only change it from being a deep wallow to a shallow wallow (if you weigh more than say 170 and ride hard). That is fine for the street because without doubling the posted speed limits you won't actually be pushing the bike that hard.
When you say wallow do you mean that shake/jerk in the rear that happens before most high sides? I noticed a big difference in my bike after adjusting the suspension that made it feel much better. And I don't push it that hard so it all but disappeared.
Like the first few highsides here...
MotoGP Crashes

Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Ok so I tried to achieve 30mm of static sag. I lifted the front and measured and then sat on it and measured. subtracted B from A and at 2 lines showing I was at like 60mm wow...

So I cranked my preloads all the way down and am still only getting like 40mm. I guess I need new springs.

I didn't have anyone to help me with the back so I set it to #6 as recommended by Sportrider magazine.