CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Lights Cutting out (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/lights-cutting-out-99369/)

greatestparadox 08-20-2009 10:26 PM

Lights Cutting out

Went on a ride this evening, on the way to the destination, when backing out of my garage the light went out, but then came back on a couple seconds later, so i thought nothing of it. On my way back however, I stopped at a light, and when I started going again I noticed my light was completely out for no reason. Both the high and the low beam was gone, and didnt return until i got back (luckily it was only a short distance and lit by street lights). I restarted my bike and the lights came back on, so I rode it around the neighborhood, and they cut off again.

Any of you guys have any idea what would be causing that? Fuses or possibly a worse electrical problem?

Aken 08-21-2009 12:09 AM

Loose ground connection somewhere.

greatestparadox 08-21-2009 01:12 AM

Where would I find some of the ground connections to check? And thanks a lot man

R Dub 08-21-2009 08:36 AM

Yeah it has to be a loose connection some where. If it was a fuse it would either work all the time or not at all. What I would do is start with the plugs at the headlights. Make sure there is no corrosion and all the wires look good and are tight. Then work your way back to the sub harness. I would imagine you will find your problem somewhere in there.

greatestparadox 08-21-2009 09:48 AM

How much of the bodywork will need to be taken off to get at the sub harness? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about wiring

R Dub 08-21-2009 10:48 AM

I would take off the front cowl and the left cowl. The sub harness will be on the left side of the bike by the air intake and the left cowl. By taking off the front cowl you can easily get too all the wires and inspect them closely.

greatestparadox 08-21-2009 03:19 PM

Allright, ill give that a try tonight or tomorrow when i get some time.

thanks

junker1244 08-22-2009 11:21 AM

I had this exact same problem.
One of the wires (the ground?) runs through the starter switch. When you start the bike, the headlights turn off in order to make it easier on the battery. Once you release the switch the headlights are supposed to come back on. But the problem I had, along with many others is that the switch gets stuck in a little bit.
Next time your lights cut out, pull out on the starter button.

greatestparadox 08-23-2009 11:33 AM

Oh wow that never occured to me, ill definitely give that a try before i rip half the fairings off on a wire hunt lol. right now the bike is apart (putting a new stock cct in and the stock suspension linkage) but when its back together ill give that a try.

Aken 08-23-2009 03:31 PM

How apart is it that you can't test a switch on the handlebar? lol