F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lighter and lower bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lighter and lower bike!

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie with alot of good questions. I came here to get some insight from the knowledgeable people here.

I'm looking into building a nice bike for my sister (most likely a f4, f4i, or 600rr). I need to make it as light and as low as I can get it. So come at me with all of your lowering tips and lightening tips. As far as lowering goes I know I can shave the foam in the seat, get the dog bones lowering kit for the rear, but am not quite sure what to do to the front suspension. Are low profile tires an option.

As for lightening the bike. I'm going to make a list of the things that first come to mind and if people could please tell me the lightest option to purchase (like brands or specific models), feel free to add to the list also.

Lightest street full Body kit-
Lightest rims (reasonably priced)-
lightest tires-
lightest exhaust-
lightweight swingarm (possibly aftermarket, or maybe swapable like an rr onto an f4)-
chain and sprockets

Please don't think I'm crazy for wanting to do all of this work. But smaller girls need this stuff done in order to handle them better. It will be one bad *** bike when I'm done with it. Hopefully she will sell it to me when she is done with it.

As you know I need lots of help choosing parts and I appreciate every bit of help I get.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Default RE: lighter and lower bike!

i wouldn't worry about the rims, that weight is at the bottom of the bike.....the best thing for her is to lighten all the stuff up top that you can. carbon fiber parts would be your best bet....

Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM

I understand what you are saying there. It will all accumulate though. I think I could shave around 40lbs (hoping). Another thing I should add to the list is a light weight subframe. Where can find the info that I need. Where all of these products are broken down to weight and performance?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:47 PM

to get lighter parts, you're gonna have to go with carbon fiber, which can get expensive after a while!

Old 05-19-2005, 05:50 PM

There is no such thing as a reasonably priced set of aftermarket wheels, and the same goes for the swingarm, subframe, ect....if you remove the motor it will drop weight since the sprockets will be not needed or will the chain... Is she riding it or bench pressing it?? It is only heavy if you are wearing it on top of you, the small people have no problem with bikes..lowering it will automatically make is more manageable.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: sirlimpzalot

Is she riding it or bench pressing it??
LOL...now thats funny right there.[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 05-20-2005, 03:39 AM

I don't need stupid remarks (sirgimpzalot). And don't tell me that you wouldn't like to do some of the lightweight goodies yourself. Don't be dumb. I only said reasonably priced rims because that can get out of hand. The rest of the stuff will be fine. She was trying to get a cbr400rr fireblade or an rvf400 from europe or japan but it wasn't gonna happen. Nobody would cooperate with the shipping arrangements. That would've cost her about 10 g's so I told her I could build her a hell of a 600 for 10.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:16 AM

Well in your quest to lighten the bike you will find that for the amount of weight you want strip, it will take a big chunk of change. Sorry if my jokes were taken in the wrong way.
Aftermarket wheels are gonna run a minimum of at least $1200.
and the chain conversion is not gonna be "felt" by the rider..it is just less weight that the motor has to turn, so less weight means more power available ..
And lowering the bike is done by buying lowering links; such as the ones sold by Diamond Powersports and then sliding the fork tubes up too match..but it will dramatically reduce the cornering and ground clearance. Beware of speed bumps!!
Good Luck with your project

Old 05-21-2005, 02:07 PM

Hey, dont yell at me like you did sirlimpz- but I know girls that are 5 feet tall 100 pounds that handle a stock F4i, one of them taught my safe rider course. It's not the bike dude, it's the rider.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:01 PM

I have been short for all my life.....only 5'4". So I know that it is a technique and determination that will get you through..there are some bikes I just CANNOT ride ( Dirtbikes since I cant get my leg over the thing!!) So I am sure with enough will...she can ride the bike

Quick Reply: lighter and lower bike!