F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the bike was neglected by the previous owner. You can also tell that the bike was stunted a little as well from the gear ratio to the hotwired tilt sensor.

The tick is also VERY noticeable and was not there before the oil change so its not in my head. It can also be heard while riding. As for there being no lifters on a DOHC engine the manual refers to them as lifters in the valve clearance section in maintenance. I might give the marvel mystery oil a shot and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, lifters in the manual ... I love it. Traditionally the lifters are push rods. Only thing what lifts your valves is springs. The keepers prevent them from launching into your crotch What your manual is referring to is the equivalent of a tappet on a traditional motor.

If it's that noticeable of a tick then I'm doubtful that snake oils and additives will do very much to help unless changing the oil dislodged some gunk that has restricted an oil journal. In which case draining everything, removing the cover and a good cleaning with a solvent like kerosene is in order.

Everything that runs through your engine runs through the clutch so I'd be very hesitant to add and run slickifiers ...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel8811
Yes the bike was neglected by the previous owner. You can also tell that the bike was stunted a little as well from the gear ratio to the hotwired tilt sensor.

The tick is also VERY noticeable and was not there before the oil change so its not in my head. It can also be heard while riding. As for there being no lifters on a DOHC engine the manual refers to them as lifters in the valve clearance section in maintenance. I might give the marvel mystery oil a shot and see what happens. Thanks.
Maybe time for a valve adjustment? I guess you don't have an accurate mileage if the bike was stunted, most likely no speedo healer? On marvel's site they do hesitate to recommend use in wet clutch applications b/c of slippage, but where there is a possibility of crude/crap/sludge in the motor or tranny they say it may help. I guess you can be the guinea pig.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

If you get rid of the tick with marvel maybe you could change the oil real quick and then run something real thin for a while. Personally I'd do a lot of research about people who have used marvel in a wet clutch bike and see their success.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Time for a valve adjustment!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Time for a valve adjustment!

That ^^^

If the CCT is in good order then the next thought is valve clearances or a blowing exhaust. If the bike has had a hard life then it is worth setting the valve clearances even if they aren't due.

A slightly blowing exhaust can sound like a tap, have a look/feel for leaks. To check for an exhaust leak, the best way I have found is to shut the garage door, turn out the lights, light a cigarette and let the smoke drift around different parts of the exhaust, use a torch to see the smoke being blown away by the gas leak.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 AM

DOHC engines do indeed have litters. I think in the F2 they're hydraulic lifters and they tick when they get dirty or gummed. If not they'd be shim and bucket style but it's my understanding hydraulic is better for high rpm engines.
I'm not entirely sure about the Marvel in the wet clutch. It's pretty much just Kerosene colored red but I really don't know about the additives it may have. I would give Marvel a call and ask them. I'm sure there's a help or comment number on the bottle.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by Jeffcbr600f2
DOHC engines do indeed have litters. I think in the F2 they're hydraulic lifters and they tick when they get dirty or gummed. If not they'd be shim and bucket style but it's my understanding hydraulic is better for high rpm engines.
Only bikes I've ever heard of having hydraulic lifters is BMW and Honda Goldthing. Traditional engine cam lobe on bottom moves push rod up which in turn moves lifter and it opens the valve. Tappet is adjustable to account for lobe wear and push rod wear. OHC has lobe directly over valve. Makes contact with bucket which is adjusted with a shim. I've seen the F4i manual and the part what they call a lifter is just the bucket ... and there is s shim under it. If the valves are out of adjustment then it certainly will tick. But an oil change should not have an effect on it.

Never been in an F2 cover but I'd bet money they're shim under bucket.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

6 is the "lifter" and 12 is shim

Old 02-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Dayam, nearly 8 hours and no one wants to debate OHC lifters any more? For what it's worth the pic is for an F4i and #6 is labeled as "lifter, valve" but it's really a bucket. Why does Honda call it a lifter? I dunno ... a rose by any other name? And if cam lobe or bucket is worn you can get a heckuva tick. But again, just changing oil should not have an effect unless a journal is blocked and something is starved for oil.

For what it's worth, I hope you find the source of the ticking quickly. If you have an abnormal sound it can be very disconcerting and you don't want to be stranded ...

Quick Reply: Lifter tick