F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Let the repsol project begin! pics

Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the repsol project begin! pics

So ... a little more than a month since I dismantled my bike, I thought it was time for a new facelift for my baby. Had been dreaming of a repsol replica for too long and was just about to order the ready sprayed fairing from ebay until I saw liquid iq's bike which turned out damn good.

My plan is the following -

Repsol replica fairings + rims
Sand down the exhaust 4 in 1, replace the mid pipe cannisters with straight pipes and spray them black using high temp paint
Akrapovic exhaust to replace the Mivv exhaust
520 conversion RK gold chain (-1 front)
black undertail and hugger
pigpotter mirrors

A friends of mine will do the paint job. Decals from alloutgraphics, whoch am still awaiting. In the meantime I took a whole week vacation leave so I can sand down all the fairings and rims to prepare them. I will be spraying in black the rear sets, crankcase covers, water pump, anything that I can dismantle lol. Probably even the frame cos I have a couple of scratches. Dismantling the bike is so easy and logical, I would encourage anyone to go ahead, will save you endless money and time without your bike.

These are the pics. I will update the thread as the works start unfolding.

And here is my favourite pillion, he's learning slowly but already dunks beneath the windshield - he wants to ride fast.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Default RE: Let the project begin! pics

Be sure to keep us updated. I'm a fan of the F4i Repsol replicas, if they are done right, not like the fairings off of ebay. No offense, but I just don't like those

-Jesse-

Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 AM

Fun Sh*#.....good luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:15 PM

good luck!

i was planning turning a spare set of rashed up plastics into a repsol theme too, but i think i'm gonna go with something different. maybe a 7-stars thing.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 AM

Another day's work is gone. Removed the decals and all the goo. Sanded down all the scratches from teh fairings. Then I sanded down all the fairings with 400 grit - took ages. Right now in the process of stripping the paint from the tank.

Boxed all the goodies.

Scorpio alarm, PCIII, ECU

Stock exhaust and a cut down MIVV race exhaust. Now awaiting an Akrapovic exhaust.

As soon as the paint is ready I'll post pics!

Chris

Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM

Damn, looks like your bike exploded! Can't wait to see the progress and the end result.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:39 PM

I am about to start a similar project, at least as far as painting. What are you using to strip the paint off of the fairing? Is there something that is "plastic" friendly?

Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM

You don't "strip" the paint. You scuff it and prep it just like painting any other body panel.

Any stripper that is strong enough to eat paint will eat your plastic too.

You don't even use stripper on metal car bodywork unless you have many layers of suspect paint and filler OR you are doing a full resto.

**edit**

For the tank, I found out the hard way that the best method is to use a power DA sander and just sand through the decals. If you try to remove them any other way you are going to take about 3x as long. Plus I hate what chemical stripper will do to YOU!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 PM

Please tell me, it isn't so. I just got some parts in from EBAY that were repainted. I am afraid the paint will be too thick if I scuff and repaint again. Maybe I should send them back, shame too, the pieces are good otherwise.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they were repainted chances are they were "scuffed" or sanded down to begin with, meaning the paint will be just as thick as it would be normally, unless it was some cheapo in his garage with krylon, haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let the repsol project begin! pics