F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lesson learned - DON'T mess around on the street

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009 | 03:59 PM
|
Default Lesson learned - DON'T mess around on the street

Went for a ride after work today and 2 minutes from house I get thrown from the bike.

Came off of 93 after a great ride and was ripping the left sweeping off-ramp up and there was a ton of cars, commonsense told me not to mess around but the turn was so enticing. Took the inside lane and before it even happened I knew the GTi in the middle lane was going to come into my lane. Sure enough, as I am way too committed to the turn and right in his blind spot, he turns into my lane. Smashed right into the back left corner of his car and the bike tossed me. Landed on my right side and slid for a good 100 feet. Bike went even further. I was able to consciously stop myself from trying to stand as I was still sliding. I was able to pick the bike up and ride it home. VERY LUCKY.

The Damage:

Right fairing is banged up and rashed.
Bolt ripped out of frame
Front Cowl cracked
Right peg ripped off
Rear brake lever bent
Exhaust dinged and scratched
Signals broken
Brake lever bent
MC reservoir cover popped off? Maybe from the force of landing on the lever?
Rash on rear cowl

The Meat:
Right inner thigh is sore
3x4 of rash on hip where I landed
Sore elbow
Right big toe a shade sore

The Gear(thank god for this stuff):
Cortech GX Sport Textile Jacket - Burned through outer Cordura material on right arm

Sidi Vertigo Corsas - Scuffed the right toe, scratched left shin plate

Banana Republic Jeans - Scuffed near the hip, rear right pocket torn

Alpinestar GP Plus gloves - Knuckle Guards a little scuffed

Scorpion EXO-400 - I don't think this ever touched the ground, I think it bounced off the rear window though.

If anyone can get anything out of this, I hope it's the the street is not the place to be ****ing around. I was very, very lucky. I will be saving all riding above 6/10's for the track now. DO NOT **** around on the streets, especially around cars. I took a nice heaping serving of humble pie today.

Oh, and wear your gear.

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:44 PM

you are definitely really lucky. did you have frame sliders? i'm glad to hear that you're ok for the most part. it could have been a LOT worse.

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:54 PM

Very lucky n blessed

Glad youre ok!!

Old 08-08-2009 | 05:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Sorry you crashed but it's good to hear you'll be o.k. with a bit of R&R. So what of this cager? Did he stop? Insurance? Police report?

Old 08-08-2009 | 05:47 PM

pics....

Old 08-08-2009 | 05:49 PM

Yeah, I'd say he cut in front of you. Hence why you hit him in the side. It'll be tough, but I'm sure he'll pay. If not, take it as high as you can. Glad you're ok.

Old 08-08-2009 | 08:22 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I don't know, Zero - that kind of situation is really iffy to try and fight. Sure the guy in the car went into his lane, but wiggey would also likely be seen as driving recklessly, possibly exceeding speed limits, etc. The way the damn justice system works these days when it comes to automotive accidents is that if you were doing something "wrong" in the first place, it's your fault regardless of what happened. And it wouldn't help at all if there were witnesses who don't like sport bikes who talked a lot of **** (been there, seen it happen).

It might be best to take this one as a learning experience and fix the damages out of your own pocket. You definitely came out very lucky for a motorcycle accident, so keep it in your head when you ride from now on

Old 08-08-2009 | 08:23 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Oh, and for what it's worth, I love messing around in the street, regardless of these situations. It's part of what makes my sport bike so much fun to own and ride. I know and accept the risks. I just do my best to rationally choose when to have some fun, and try to do it in the safest possible situations.

Old 08-08-2009 | 08:33 PM

Well done wiggy, ......... well done for wearing your gear, making the post, and owning your actions. Taking it to the track is definately where its at. Im glad your okay, and i think this is a good reminder for us all.

Old 08-08-2009 | 11:52 PM

Yeah, justice system ftl. I like my fun, but keep it sane.

Quick Reply: Lesson learned - DON'T mess around on the street