F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

LED's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED's

I installed a couple blue LED's on each side of my bike today, hooked up to the lights so they turn off and on with the ignition... damn it looks good at night. Anyone else do this and where are yours located on the bike?? I'm going to add a couple more on the bottom of the bike pointing towards the ground to illuminate the ground as I drive...very cool.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: LED's

You are gonna want to install a seperate switch. I know alot of Cops and they all say the same thing, "your bike will be hooked if you can't turn them off". The only color the is legal in Indiana is yellow. Most of the rest can't be used "legally". There are colors designated for special services. Somewhat different in each state. Check local laws. This is also thye easiest way to see the blue and red lights behind u.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM

Blue lights are definitly a no-no if the bike is in motion.

Just throw a switch inline so you can shut them off and you should be OK.

I agree that they look sweet, but you DO NOT want your bike towed. It's expensive and they usually mess your bike up. Getting them to pay for the damage is a b!tch.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Is it the fact that it's distracting to other drivers or what? I think that's a sweet idea, it looks sick on cars so why not on the bottom of bikes?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM

It's illegal to have them on the cars while you're driving too. They sell a bunch of kits and I think I'm going to buy one, they're like $80 or so I believe. The LED's do look pretty pimp inside and underneath the bikes one of my friends has red on his and it's awesome. I wonder how much the ticket is for that?

Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM

I got some on mine. They were already on the bike when I bought it. I rarely turn them on, but they I think they look good. They are hooked up to a button switch which is attatched to the left side of the frame under the seat. I'll post some pics as soon as I get my bike from the shop. Picking it up tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 PM

I put one blue LED inside the larger of the two holes on the front fairing side and one under the seat just above the rear passenger pegs on the frame, and did this on both sides of the bike. I hooked them to an interupt switch which I have located below the instrument panel so I can turn them on or off. They are also hooked up to the lights so that they shut off with the key so they don't drain the battery in case I forget to shut them off. I plan on putting two more LED's on the bottom side of the bike so the ground is illuminated as well. I can't seem to find what the legislation is here in Ontario for using LED's on vehicle's. I may just call the local police dept. to find out.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM

OK, so I called the police and it turns out that all colors are legal so long as the LED's do not blink, and as long as they are not pointed forward.