F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

layed the bike down.... wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default layed the bike down.... wont start

hey fellow member, I am in a tough spot and i need some help from the experts!
so about 6 months ago i layed my bike down going pretty fast. i believe it just slide on the the side, and it broke the stator cover. so i finally got around to replacing the stator cover, and put new oil in it and charged the battery and it wont start. it just keeps rolling over. could it be just the old gas? what else could it be, maybe the sparks plugs are flooded or something???
any in put would be great.
thanks!
Cory

Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM

do you have all the ferrings on ?
do you have the Tip over switch connected ? and is the wire harness connected properly ?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 PM

no the fairing it went down on isnt on? would that matteR? and i dont know where the tip over switch is? and how does that work?
i the wire harness is connected properly.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Hey kpip,

It could be any one of the symptoms cause by aging gas or a bike sitting for a bit. Could also be a connection you haven't quite put back together yet. Are you sure the stator wasn't damaged, not just the cover? Make sure the system is priming gas and the fuel pump is working. As for the fairing, it makes no difference, I think he may have just been asking so he knows how easy it would be for you to get to the internals and wiring. The bank angle sensor (tip over sensor) is in the upper fairing, between the headlights. I don't know much about them, but if your bike is turning over, it probably isn't that. The sensor works so that if your bike is at a greater than 60 degree angle, it would cut power to your bike, engine and fuel pump! Let us now what else you see and we will try to give ya more!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is your headlights connected?

I just got finished repairing my bike from when I went down a couple of months ago, and I tried to start my bike while it was disassembled and it couldn't start because I didn't have my headlights connected. It too kept turning over but didn't start. If your headlights are off due to having the front fairing off, then that could be your problem too.

Let us know more so we can help you more.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Hey Guys,

Just so ya know. It's not the headlights being disconnected that is keeping the bike from starting, but the bank angle sensor that uses the same connector!

Best,
Antonio

Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM

I suggested what I did because my bike didn't start, but turned over when I had the headlights disconnected from my bike being completely disassembled. The bike won't start if the headlights are disconnected for anyone because that is a safety precaution that is set by the manufacturer. The bank angle sensor is an added safety precaution that can also have an effect on the bike not starting.

My post is from direct, recent experience and hopefully Kpip will figure his problem out.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
I suggested what I did because my bike didn't start, but turned over when I had the headlights disconnected from my bike being completely disassembled. The bike won't start if the headlights are disconnected for anyone because that is a safety precaution that is set by the manufacturer. The bank angle sensor is an added safety precaution that can also have an effect on the bike not starting.

My post is from direct, recent experience and hopefully Kpip will figure his problem out.
You're almost right. The bank angle sensor is integrated with the headlight's wiring harness. So plugging in the "headlight" connects the bank angle sensor to the ECU, which is what will cause the bike to not be able to start. The headlight itself has no safety precautions attached to the bike.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM

yes the headlights are hooked up! i wish it was that simple. how would i be able to tell if the stator was damaged. There appeared to be no physical damage to it when i removed it from the cover. and we briefly pressed the start button with the cover off just to make sure all the gears where turning with out resistance and they where. could the spark plugs have gotten flooded or something? Im sorry for my ignorance, I've spent most of my time under a hood, and im still new to the mechanics of a bike.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
You're almost right. The bank angle sensor is integrated with the headlight's wiring harness. So plugging in the "headlight" connects the bank angle sensor to the ECU, which is what will cause the bike to not be able to start. The headlight itself has no safety precautions attached to the bike.
Thanks for the correction Aken, as I am just learning bikes myself. From my experience, I thought it was just the headlights, but now I know the real reason why.

It's great learning something new!

Hey Kpip hopefully some more people will be able to chime in and help you further.

Quick Reply: layed the bike down.... wont start