F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Laser iridium or just iridium sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser iridium or just iridium sparkplugs?

First time im changing sparkplugs. im buying from the net because my dealership is so expensive.

is know i need to buy the IMR9A-9H for my CBR600 FS 2001
but what type?

is there any difference?

thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what they mean by laser is that the electrode is cut by a laser (because it's so small). But besides that, so long as it's IMR9A-9H you should be ok. I put those NGK laser plugs in my bike just last week.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks! is there something i should be aware of? never done this before, but i like to fiddle :P

Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM

Just don't over tighten them. Tighten untill they are snug.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

The manual states 9 Ft. Lbs. (sorry, not metric) or "about 1/2 turn" which is what I did cause my torque wrench won't fit. Also a little dialectic grease in the boots/coils wouldn't hurt, and of course check the gap. Manual simply states no more than 1mm for the gap.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM

I am not a fan of iridium plugs, or even platinum plugs. For my money it doesn't get any better than good ol' NGK copper plugs. Iridium and platinum plugs don't provide any performance increase over copper they just last longer. Its just money you are wasting if you go with new "designer" plugs.

As far as installation goes, be very careful not to crossthread your plugs and if you dont have a torque wrench just tighten them 1/8-1/16 of a turn past hand tight. You can also apply anti-sieze to the threads to ensure they come out easily next time. You will need a spark plug socket or a deep socket and thats about it.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 PM

I put the IMR9C not 9A plugs in mine a few weeks ago and noticed that it had 9C's in it from the previous owner. While they were anywhere from $13 to $20 a piece online they were only $9.99 at my nearest Advance Auto and the next day delivery was free. The 9C's have a different cut to the electrode which is laser cut as mentioned earlier. Probably not a whole lot of difference if any from the 9A's.

These iridium plugs are recommended and are the OEM plug as far as I know.

Copper btw is a better conductor electricity than Platinum or Iridium but I guess its the heat and amount of times the high rpm motors fire that makes Iridium necessary for this application.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM

use the recommended spark plugs b/c the dealership gave me the wrong ones. i told him i needed the part # i gave him. there was 1 letter difference and he was like, yea yea its the one. it did NOT work. 20 minutes later, i went to return it and he wouldn't let me. he's all biting on the spark plug literally. b/c the end of the plug is different. so use the part # specified for the bike. either way spark plugs are the closest thing to your engine.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 PM

Prop up the tank and remove the airbox to get in through the top, its alot easier than goin in from the front. All you need is a deep 16 mm socket and a swivel, and use the rubber hose that hooks up to the tank and goes down to the bottom of the left fairing, and stick down in the hole to pull the plugs out. Use it to reinstall the new plugs, this ensures they wont get crossthreaded. (life lesson, use the hose whenever you install ANY plugs, DONT use the socket)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM

by crossthread you mean putting sparkplug 1 in cylinder number 2 and so on?

Quick Reply: Laser iridium or just iridium sparkplugs?