F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

K&N air filter installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air filter installation

I'm going to install my K&N this weekend along with my PCIII. The PCIII shouldn't be a problem...but the air filter I'm not quite sure about. I haven't taken off the fairings yet and looked at things, but does anyone have a link to step by step instructions on how to do this for a 2005 CBR f4i?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:39 AM
Default RE: K&N air filter installation

First, take off both side fairings. Then take off both ram air duct covers, there's two 5mm hex bolts on each one. Next, take off the seat and loosen the two boths that hold the back part of the tank on - only loosen them 1 or 2 full turns, don't take them out. Then completely remove the front two bolts that hold the tank on, right next to the triple tree. Find a prop rod that won't scratch your paint and prop up the front of the tank (12"-15") and make sure it's secure so the tank won't come slamming down. Then, unplug the wiring harness on top of the air box, then remove the bolts that hold the top of the air box on - can't remember how many, but there's a bunch. Then take off the top of the air box and switch out the filter. Then put it all back together (don't forget to plug the wire harness back as it was) and it should all be done. Here's a pic:
This is a photo of everything off except the top of the air box, right under the tank.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/176D1E8E62114ED6B78FBAAF1FC00606.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Actually, you only have to remove the duct covers, you can leave the fairing panels on.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Actually, you only have to remove the duct covers, you can leave the fairing panels on.
The duct covers snap into place underneath the fairings, and there's also a large pin on each fairing that goes through the duct covers. They have to come off or the fairings will be stressed and maybe broken if you try to force them out of the way.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Done it a dozen times or more, removing the duct covers without removing the fairings.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:11 AM

Got it, thanks. But where and what are the ram air duct covers?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:48 AM

ORIGINAL: CBR BoyRacer

Got it, thanks. But where and what are the ram air duct covers?
They're the black plastic parts that lead from near the headlights back to the gas tank. Right below the grips.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM

yeah, i've never taking my fairings off to get to my air filter

Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 AM

ANy reason you are going K&N?

Most things I have read said that the best performance is actually with the stock filter, unless you do a full exhaust. Also, the K&N's let in a lot more dirt into the motor.

And while it is washable, that costs money too for oil and cleaning solution and it takes alot more time to clean, oil and dry it. I would just rather toss in a new stock filter every 5k miles and be done in 20 minutes and get back to riding.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:59 AM

I think I'm going to leave in the stock until the time comes to change it and then I'll decide if I'm going to install the K&N.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter installation