F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

It just shuts down.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It just shuts down.....

What's crackin' y'all?

Well, I think I'm dwindling down the issues list of this damn bike....but anyway....

Right now the problem is....the bike keeps shutting down. I was traveling down the highway the other day at about 90mph when all of a sudden the bike kept surging like it was running out of gas, but it wasn't gas. It was the whole bike (power/electrical included) shutting on and off very rapidly. Almost like a loose connection. It lasted for about 15 seconds and then stopped. I tried to draw all the power I could so I turned on the highbeams, blinker, and started honking the horn.....yes....all while going 90, lol. It would intermittently loose power. All connections are TIGHT. Also, sometimes when I am at a stop light or going real slow, I pull in the clutch and it dies. Not a choke like low on fuel.......more like "pull the plug" straight up dies, instantly. But it doesn't happen all time. Maybe once or twice a day....sometimes more since the issue is getting worse. I'm thinking stator or dying battery. Any thoughts would be fricken AWESOME! Thanks in advance guys!
~Ryan

Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When at stop light, you pull the clutch lever & then then engine dies??? Were you in gear?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM

My NOOb guess here:
Can It be the kickstand switch? As you know if the stand is down it kills the engine if the clutch is released while in gear.. so if it's deffective it could cause it to kill it while riding at 90mph. Although it shouldn't cause it to loose all of your electical power. Just a thought.

Last edited by Moto-Psycho; 09-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Possibly the clutch neutral switch is shorting out? It prevents the bike, while in gear,
starting if the clutch isn't pulled in. Check the switch and the neutral sensor (not
sure where the sensor is, though).

The r/r could be the cause as well, so here's a couple of links on that...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Ern

Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
When at stop light, you pull the clutch lever & then then engine dies??? Were you in gear?
Just took the bike out today. Seems to be not only when the clutch is pulled in. It will cut off (die) in any gear, clutch in or out, any rpm. It shut down on me right when I set it down (semi-roughly) from a clutch up. It wasn't a slam but it wasn't a graceful set down either. Every time the bike dies I have to quickly turn the key off then on again and she starts......only to die a little later and I repeat the process. Also dies on smooth, no bump, surfaces, parking lots, 90mph down the highway, ....whenever it wants to.

Originally Posted by BumbleBee-atch
My NOOb guess here:
Can It be the kickstand switch? As you know if the stand is down it kills the engine if the clutch is released while in gear.. so if it's deffective it could cause it to kill it while riding at 90mph. Although it shouldn't cause it to loose all of your electical power. Just a thought.
Good call bro! I will definitely be looking at the switch. I know I get a fair amount of grease and shiz in that general location from chain lube.....maybe the built up shiz out is causing it to short???

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Possibly the clutch neutral switch is shorting out? It prevents the bike, while in gear,
starting if the clutch isn't pulled in. Check the switch and the neutral sensor (not
sure where the sensor is, though).

The r/r could be the cause as well, so here's a couple of links on that...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Ern
Hmmm..... Really hoping it's not a rectifier, lol. I will have to look a little more into that. It seems to happen at any rpm, any gear, clutch in or out, sometimes a bump will kill it, sometimes it kills without hitting any sort of bump at 8mph in a baby-butt smooth parking lot. :/ (I just hope I don't need a new wiring harness, really hiping it's just a loose connection somewhere but I have NO IDEA on where to start looking)

Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM

And the only remedy is to turn the key off and then on and start it up again. If I don't turn the key off it will sit there crank and crank and crank without starting. Key off/key on starts right back up.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Faulty bank angle sensor? A buddy of mine suggested this and I am strongly leading towards this. Does anybody know the bypass process for this sensor?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 PM

a faulty tip sensor would cause the problem... but they usually dont go. To bypass i believe you connect the outside two wires together. Colors i have in a manual are red/white and green and the middle is white. I believe that is correct. Someone please correct me if i am wrong. You normally splice them together but i imagine you just wanna test this so make a bridge out of wire to put the two together. If that doesnt work id look towards the charging system

Last edited by waddleboy; 09-13-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: wrong wire colors...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Have you checked the battery connection? My bike shut off going freeway speed a couple of times and it turned out to be just a loose connection at the battery terminals. Your problem sounds alittle more complicated but its worth a try

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM

^^ That's a sick lookin' bike bro!

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!! After a 44 oz cup last night filled with Sailor Jerry and Pepsi I went to work on the bike. It was the big gray harness in the front of he bike. It's the one covered with a big rubber boot. Well.... It clips in together to hold tight, right? (just like all other harness's) but on one side the clip broke. So the harness was becoming disconnected. This harness feeds your headlights, fuel pump, F.I. ****, and your ECU. Bingo.....problem solved!!!

Thank you guys for trying to help! I truly appreciate it!
~Ry

Quick Reply: It just shuts down.....