F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

JSmiths 02 F4i build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JSmiths 02 F4i build-up thread

Well, since I'm just starting out on this forum, I figure I need to show off how I'm coming along on my current CBR. It's been a great bike, and it deserves some screen time.

Pics from when I scoped it out in Moody, Alabama. 6003 miles, Puig smoked double bubble screen, TwoBro's catless exhaust (it's a Cali emissions bike), and Hotbodies undertail. Dropped in the driveway on the left side, but no serious damage. I told him I'll pick it up next week.
Name:  Picture006.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  98.0 KB
Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  94.0 KB
Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  100.3 KB

His idea of a "comfortable" clutch lever. He is the exact same size as I am, and he thinks this mod was a good idea? We wear the same size gloves, and I can barely ride it like that.
Name:  100_0181.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  90.8 KB

Loading it on the trailer, so I snag a pic of his hot wife. I'd take her home without a single regret.
Name:  100_0179.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  83.8 KB

Got the bike back after a 5 hour trip, and it needs some small stuff. Battery, tires, oil change, bleed the brakes, general maintenance crap. New battery, Battery Tender, Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs, and some fresh DOT5 fluid.

I wasstill waiting for the Release of Lien from the previous owner, so all I wasbasically allowed to do was nightime practice in a nearby parking lot. I started to practice some slow u-turns I learned from the MSF courseI took in September, and I was getting pretty good. Started with 3-parking-spot-wide turns, and gradually got smaller and smaller. Got it down to about9-10 feet (WAY smaller than the California legal maximum of 2 parking spots), and between not having enough clutch, not enough throttle, and too much rear brake, I ran out of talent. wam. dropped it on the left side. No serious damage, but it snapped the left mirror at the stalk... So, I run mirrorless.

I got tired of the craptastic stock grips, and the FUBAR'ed clutch lever, so I called up Corey from MotoMummy. Got a set of ASV levers and Driven gel grips. Slapped them on, and it's time for a photoshoot.
Name:  100_0182.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  149.6 KB
Name:  100_0184.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  93.9 KB
Name:  100_0187.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  136.0 KB
Name:  100_0186.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  104.0 KB

so, on to future plans. Woodcraft sliders, Flushmount turn signals of some sort, Vortex bar ends, PCIII (it runs very rich at high RPM... like 3-foot-Fireball rich), new mirrors (can anyone point out some decent mirrors for this bike?!?!? beside PigSpotters and bar-end mirrors), yellow rim tape, and Level One Racing exhaust. I just love the shorty exhausts, so I may chop the TwoBro's down.

Let me know what you think, and I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: JSmith's 02 F4i build-up thread

ORIGINAL: JSmith319
His idea of a "comfortable" clutch lever. He is the exact same size as I am, and he thinks this mod was a good idea?
That origional clutch... I don't think that was a mod. That bike was dropped and he was too lazy to fix it. Was it scuffed on the tip? Because I don't think you can buy clutch levers like that.

Love the new ones though

Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM

no scuff marks at all. He even said he liked the clutch better after he took the lever off, bent it, and put it back on. I was literally scratching my head on that one.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM

I didn't think that just a slip on would cause it to be so rich, maybe it's cause it's a cali bike and the o2 sensor isn't reading properly anymore. You may have to look into more than just a PC3, dunno though, just a thought.
Looks good though!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 PM

When I bought the bike, I thought the same. Just a slip on, and it can throw flames?! The FI light isn't on, but I was never sure how exactly the ECM got an idea of how much air is incoming. MAF? MAP? I'm still going to run a PCIII and dyno tune it for good measure.

But even with the rich state, it's only at high RPM, like 10K-14K. Everything until that is perfect. I never give it too much hell, so I rarely use that RPM range.

But I have to fix the tail section. He installed the HB undertail,and it looks like the holes were drilled with a pencil, so I have to do some clean-up work. No real biggie, but I can show the do's and don'ts of undertails.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM

My friend went down on some gravel and his clutch looks exactly like that. Coincidence or unsolved mystery?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM

how much where those levers?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 AM

Look closely at the picture of the clutch lever, you can see there is deffinately something wrong with the finish on the end. It also is scuffed on exactly the opposite side from the direction of the bend. He didn't mod it, he dropped it.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: JSmith319

no scuff marks at all. He even said he liked the clutch better after he took the lever off, bent it, and put it back on. I was literally scratching my head on that one.
haha yeah, me too. very strange

oh well, your bike is rid of that nastyness. I'm considering buying a set of those now...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM

i have pretty much the exact same bike. two-bros exhaust is awesome.

Quick Reply: JSmiths 02 F4i build-up thread