F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Jerkiness, Inconsistent RPMs, Potential Fuel Injeciton Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I might be an idiot Bryce. I guess I didn't realize this before...the FI light comes on as I turn the bike off everytime so I figure that's normal. Ive read a number of other posts on surging and people tend to think its a chain issue then air filter or spark plug issue. I think I'm going to get a new chain on it today at the shop and install a new filter oil and perhaps plugs. We will see what happens.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 PM

im experiencing similar problems, so far I have changed the spark plugs, installed new air filter and put in a new fuel pressure regulator, the f1 light comes on steady and the bike quietly turns off, sometimes when i try to pick up speed and go fast , it gets jerky and acts like my fuel is finished (with a full tank), turns off then due to speed and being in a gear it starts by it self. Also the battery acts weird during this event, left and right signals flash very fast and if im stopped when it goes off the bike starts as if the battery is out of power.

please help, have no clue what is causing this, it my first bike 2004 600 f4i

Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM

To update my status, I had my chain replaced on Saturday, in addition to an oil change. I don't think the bike surged as MUCH as it did before, but it was definitely still there. I don't notice it (not saying it's not there, could be, I just notice it less) when I accelerate quickly, and shift gears at higher RPMs...5000 or so, and keep the tach. above 4000 RPMs.

So, I guess if I have to deal with it as is, then, it's not terrible. I just found out the navy is deploying me this summer, so it looks like my planned summer of riding might be out. I only have a few weeks left with the bike before I go, so I'll probably wait for the air filter/spark plug changes until when I get back.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM

I must have a piece of $*&^ bike. I rode to work today, everything was fine...well, except for some of the surging I had in 1st and 2nd gear at low RPMs...but after work I was hopping on my bike to ride home. Did the normal start up, ignition to on, neutral, fuel injection, starter...

When I hit the starter, my bike died and lost all power. Clock reset on the dash to 1:00AM, as it does when it resets/loses power. So, now I have to drive to work tomorrow with my toolbox, take apart the seat and check the fuses, hoping its as simple as that.

Anyway want to buy my bike? I think I'm going to go from this 02 CBR600F4i to a 2006/7 600RR...

FML

Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 AM

I hope you find out what went wrong, might be my problem in near future

Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default surging

Originally Posted by bucki4lyfe
So I might be an idiot Bryce. I guess I didn't realize this before...the FI light comes on as I turn the bike off everytime so I figure that's normal. Ive read a number of other posts on surging and people tend to think its a chain issue then air filter or spark plug issue. I think I'm going to get a new chain on it today at the shop and install a new filter oil and perhaps plugs. We will see what happens.
There is no idiot to it, I find things i do not know all the time. If the chain is an issue, normally with the tire raised off of the ground, spinning the tire by hand will produce a tight spot. k&n filters are about 40 dollars on amazon shipped, not much price difference from a stock air filter. Recharge kits are 13. You might even find plugs cheaper online. Wishing you the best, let us know what you find.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 AM

So I think I have fixed my bike shutting off, jerkiness, inconsistent rpm, clock and trip resetting. No symptoms after riding from Mississauga to Hamilton and back (2.5 hrs test ride).

I have a 2004 CBR 600 f4i. First bike so tinkered with it and when I got the gas tank up for the first time accidentally left the air intake off for some time. The symptoms had started. I changed the fuel return hose on the fuel pressure regulator because it broke on me so got to the air intake as well but the symptoms didn't go away.
Changed spark plugs to ngk then fuel pressure regulator from Honda, filter to k and n a day later but still the "symptoms" were there.
Lastly made sure the air intake pipe was clear for air, moved it a bit and made sure it doesn't bend to cause a choke in flow and tightened the battery terminals. My bike is flying now, will be watching it closely.

Good luck and safe riding

Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Uber...glad that got it working for you. As I mentioned above, I fear my last issue may have put me over the edge with my bike, and might just trade it in. My bike is still at my work garage, because I haven't been able to get it started yet. Sometime next week, I'm going to take some time after work and see if I can bump start it. At that point, at least I can get it to my garage in my apt building, so I might be able to take a look and see what the problem is. I imagine its a short circuit of some kind...

After that, I'd have to fix the surging issue...ugh

I talked to a dealership in Salem VA called something like Eurosports, they have a nice 600RR (2006) with 19k miles, I think ONE previous owner, and want $5,500 for it. They're offering $2k for mine...

As I think I mentioned before, the navy is deploying me to the Middle East this summer, so I'll probably just wait until I get back there until I trade in and get rid of my piece of junk.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Registered Users

Fist thing I would check your chain. I had the exact same problem on my 01 f4i. It was a bad link in the chain so every time it went around the front sprocket it would get super tight an drop my rpms down. You should be able to notice it by looking at your chain while driving. Put a new chain on and poof. Back to normal. Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nbowman
Fist thing I would check your chain. I had the exact same problem on my 01 f4i. It was a bad link in the chain so every time it went around the front sprocket it would get super tight an drop my rpms down. You should be able to notice it by looking at your chain while driving. Put a new chain on and poof. Back to normal. Hope this helps!
Yeah thanks for the recommendation. I got a new chain and still had the issue afterwards. Unfortunately, didn't work. Oh well.

I'm going to do what UBER did above and check the air intake stuff...if it's blocked somehow, then maybe thats the issue.

Quick Reply: Jerkiness, Inconsistent RPMs, Potential Fuel Injeciton Problem