F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

i've commited to buying fairings, advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i've commited to buying fairings, advice pls

Just to clarify, this isn't your everyday WHERE SHOULD I BUY FAIRINGS thread. I've read through quiet a few (there's like 5 a day haha), and i've done my research, but i still have questions.

Looking through Delkevic's site, and their ebay page, they stopped shipping painted fairings, so I would probably get the unpainted if i were to order from them ($330 shipped).

So if i were to buy the unpainted ones, I would like to color match my current color scheme (red/black). This is where my dilemma is. I'm going to start asking for quotes, but honestly don't know how much to expect.

Can people tell me what's a fair price for a full paint job on unpainted fairings?

Also, what's the right amount to pay for decals? OEM style decals.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

FLAME ON! haha just in case.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I asked around here (Las Vegas) even for single color paint jobs (say, all black) I was quoted $300-$400. It goes up from there, for different colors.

I got some carbon fiber decals that are sort of, but not quite, OEM style for cheap. Actual OEM decals were pretty spendy.

I think when I worked the numbers, for what I want to do it'll be cheaper to pay $550 / $600 for decaled, painted fairings from cbrfairings (or your vendor of choice) rather than get unpainted fairings and then have them painted. Of course, if you want something highly custom, getting them painted is the only way to go. I wouldn't expect real art to start much under $800 out here, though prices probably vary by region.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm just worried the paint job on cbrfairings.com isn't up to snuff. I was debating just ordering from them instead of posting this, but i have to say now that you've brought up that, i'm feeling a bit better about it. I just would like to find someone that says " Hey David, i ordered from these guys, and couldn't be happier, paint is excellent, matched my old scheme, and you should too." haha anyone? Bueller? Bueller? haha

Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Auctmarts paint looks FANTASTIC, scratches a little bit too easy but not bad. However they must be color blind, upper does not match lower ALL IN THE SAME BOX FROM Auctmarts. I complained and they reluctantly sent me a new upper and two new lowers, that STILL DO NOT MATCH. lolz

Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Can I ask why you are ditching your OEM fairings? If they are repairable it is worth doing for 2 reasons. First off they are better quality plastic and will hold up better for longer. Second, they are a stock part so they are guaranteed to fit perfectly, because they already do! lol

I do realize there are cases where the bike is trashed. But if you could get away with replacing a couple fairings with OEM fairings (like from eBay or a bone yard or whatever) and repair the rest, I honestly think you will be glad you did!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
Can I ask why you are ditching your OEM fairings? If they are repairable it is worth doing for 2 reasons. First off they are better quality plastic and will hold up better for longer. Second, they are a stock part so they are guaranteed to fit perfectly, because they already do! lol

I do realize there are cases where the bike is trashed. But if you could get away with replacing a couple fairings with OEM fairings (like from eBay or a bone yard or whatever) and repair the rest, I honestly think you will be glad you did!

Very good point, and i saw your repair thread, thought it was great!

The front upper fairing, has a few defects, the first most noticeable one would be where the turning signals where there are two huge holes. They were apparently torn off, this happened when previous owner had it. Inside the upper fairing there are a lot of tabs broken off, after i took it off, i was surprised it even stays on somehow.

The rear/seat fairing, has quiet a few scuffs, but that's not a big deal, the big deal is that on both sides where it screws in on front, it's broken off. So it has a decent wobble to it.

If you are committed and have the know how, this is very doable, but i don't really have the time. I would love to buy new fairings, and just sell these as a set to someone who's willing to put in the time, at a fair price.

I'm almost set to buying CBRFairings.com, but I would love to be reassured. I'll call them on Monday and try to talk to one of them, see what they say. I'm just worried it won't match my gas tank well, and it'll stand out horribly.

In regards to Auctmarts, I was more than happy to order from, but those guys just don't behave themselves. Customer service is awful, and as you said, having fairings not match in color, that's a nightmare, i'd rather avoid. Delkevic was basically my fail safe, but the stopped selling them colored...WHY!?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some folks who ordered from CBRFairings - the experience seems to run the gamut, but overall everyone seemed happy.

Another.

One more from here.

Overall, looks legit and like great customer service. I'm psyched about their policy of swapping out logos and such; I'll have to ask them if they can put on a truly custom graphic when I'm ready to order. If they could slap on my logos, I'd be in heaven.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Fair call, it does take time. You would need a full weekend of hard work to do the repair and paint. Though I will say my fairings had almost the exact same damage. Maybe worse...

As for selling them unpainted, this is because the cost of color matched paint and decals makes it impossible to compete. Typically chinese fairings do not match the stock paint no matter where you get them from for this very reason. It becomes a nightmare with EVERY customer complaining that they don't fit and don't match the existing paint so they sell them unpainted to avoid the hassel. They probably make the same money and are able to offer much better customer service because they aren't swamped with pissed off customers. This is the same for any sports bike, just do some searching and you will find out for yourself what a pain in the *** it can be if you don't get lucky! The newer bikes have plastic gas tank covers so the set is easier to match, this eliminates a lot of the problem, but you still get variations in fit from bike to bike and year to year even if the model year hasn't changed.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM

I ordered from Auctmarts and yes their customer service is bad and they are REALLY slow getting in touch with you, but as what LasVegasHarley said, if you complain they are ready to send you another set free of charge. Sometimes it just takes talking them into it or complaining.

My friend ordered from them, got a tail section that didnt match and his nose fairing had a big scratch on it. They sent him a complete second set that was perfect! So he basically got 2 sets of fairings for the price of one!

As for durability, Ive lowsided in mine and besides scratches they hold up fine!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM

I ordered a nose and rear tail from CBRfairings.com. Overall I am pleased with them. The color doesnt match perfect. Mine are white to go with the red/white oem scheme. The OEM white has a type of metalic to it. The CBR ones were just plain white. That being said you cannot tell unless you get right up on the bike and study it. They have been on for a couple months and nobody has noticed yet.
The fit was perfect on the tail section. However the nose took a little work. I am not sure my gauage/mirror mount wasnt the cause of this. When I got the bike it didnt have one and I was too cheap to get an OEM one so I ordered one off ebay. I had to dremel out the holes just to get the gauge to bolt up. So it was most likly this that was off and not the fender.
Overall I am very pleased. No scratches, cracks, or scuffs yet.

Quick Reply: i've commited to buying fairings, advice pls