CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   issue. need some insite (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/issue-need-some-insite-123910/)

04f4i-tim 04-14-2011 11:59 AM

issue. need some insite

Info of the bike:
04 f4i
21000miles
previous owner rode it hard
has an exhaust that has been cut down (may be stock that they cut down)
The exhaust does have a leak where the pipe meets the headers under the bike
Bike smells rich during idle

here is the issue-
I have had battery issues so i grabbed a new battery about a month ago.
coming home from work two days ago the bike stalled twice each time when i was downshifting to 1st coming to a stop at a red light. I was thinking i just wasnt clutching all the way. (my ride home is only 3 miles and most is highway so i didnt have any other red lights to check)

Drove the bike to work yesterday. leaving work . i get the bike two revs while clutching when i was under the overpass coming to a red light. as i came off the throttle the second flick my bike stalls. fires right back up

ride the few miles down the highway. as soon as i got onto the highway the gas reserve light came on . rode the few miles down the highway and got off to go to the gas station right down the street from my house and the bike stalls again at a red light as im down shifting.

I was able to pop start it and rode it home staying on the throttle the entire time to make sure it didnt stall.

My question is what is causing this?
FPR
low gas
plugs
air filter
charging issues

I have a new k&n air filter just need to put it on
I am going to order these plugs tonight since im sure they have never been changed
Honda CBR600 F4i NGK SPARK PLUG IRIDIUM IMR9A-9H 4 Pack | eBay

__Z__ 04-14-2011 12:04 PM

i vote either charging issue or fpr....

04f4i-tim 04-14-2011 12:23 PM

is there a way for me to check the charging system like you can check an alternator on a car?

Xander F4i 04-14-2011 03:08 PM

I've read that they don't really charge under 5,000 rpm.

could be a loose connection on a wiring harness.

Matt5606 04-14-2011 03:55 PM

+1 on FPR. Stalling and the smell of gas in the exhaust are tell-tale signs of that goin bad.

04f4i-tim 04-14-2011 04:03 PM

xander-I've herd similar. I find it hard to believe it doesn't start charging until that high rpm.

If it is the fpr is there any way to test it to be positive and where is the best place to buy one.

xxreaper487 04-14-2011 05:00 PM

It actually sounds similar to maybe the regulator rectifier going bad too. i personally had almost the same exact situation only i didn't smell gas at the time. mine simply died most of the times is stopped.

Sirsabattini 04-14-2011 05:15 PM

call me a noob here but whats the fpr? lol just curious.

and on my opinion, if it was plugs the bike would either idle like crap, or wouldn't start. i dont think it would be the filter especially if its pretty new. otherwise idk what fpr is so i cant offer an opinion on that one...

04f4i-tim 04-14-2011 05:20 PM

Fpr is fuel pressure regulator.

The bike has the old filter and plugs still. Its idles a little rough but not too bad. Everyone in a while it sounds like it misses once it warms up and the idle rpm drops some.

Matt5606 04-14-2011 05:24 PM

FPR is the fuel pressure regulator, and it is attached to the fuel rail. Its supposed to regulate the fuel pressure going to the injectors. Sometimes if they fail, the fuel passes around the diapraghm inside and will leak down into the #2 and 3 cylinders by the small vacuum line attached to it, making the bike run rich.

It doesn't sound like the reg/rec is goin bad cuz he's able to start the bike no probs after it stalls, correct?