F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Integrating Stock Turn Signals To Stock Taillight of 01 F4i (Updated w/ Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrating Stock Turn Signals To Stock Taillight of 01 F4i (Updated w/ Pictures)

I found an undertail for my 01 F4i on ebay for $50 and was pretty happy because it was already white and kept the stock light (which is what I wanted more than anything). My only issue was what to do about turn signals. I really didnt want any short stalks or anything extra because the whole point of getting the undertail was to clean up all of that clutter in the back. I searched and couldnt find any posts about integrating the stock turn signals into the stock taillight, so I figured that I would share my solution (which could already be here for all I know).

I purchased a Taillight Converter from Advance Auto for 12.95 which can be found here, some butt connectors and some wire strippers.

First I disconnected the battery
Second I removed the stock turn signals.
I then disconnected all lighting.

First thing is to cut the Black/Yellow wire going to BOTH bulbs.

The brake input wire is connected to the Black/Yellow wire (at either bulb) going AWAY from the bulb. Cap off same wire going AWAY from the bulb on the other side as it will not be used.
The left input wire connects to light blue wire at the light blue connector (left turn signal connector).
The right input wire connects to the orange wire at the orange connector (right turn signal connector).

The left output wire connects to the Black/Yellow Wire going TO the left side bulb.
The right output wire connects to the Black/Yellow Wire going TO the right side bulb.

You then connect your wiring as well as your battery and there you go. The only issue that I noticed is that if you are holding the brake down the signal will not flash as the brake and turn signal is using the same brighter filament in the bulb. I am not really sure how I feel about that yet, but I haven't sat with the brake down and the turn signal on yet either.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Integrating Stock Turn Signals To Stock Taillight of 01 F4i

Thats a hella idea for a place to mount your plate... Have you been harrassed about it yet?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Not yet, but its only been a few days. I'm gonna ride it until I'm forced to move it. Its not being blocked by anything while riding so I dont see a problem.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Any pics with the signal/brake on? Great post, i'll try to do this instead of buying a 150$ integrated tailight.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 PM

i can put up more pics tomorrow

Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

ORIGINAL: iRIDE

Not yet, but its only been a few days. I'm gonna ride it until I'm forced to move it. Its not being blocked by anything while riding so I dont see a problem.
because you cant see it from the rear of the bike, you'll get a ticket for that as soon as someone sees it first time.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 AM

I tried to integrate the turns into the stock tail for about 2 days straight, gave up on it. Never could get it quite right.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Below is a photo of the constant taillight

This shot is of the light when the brakes are pressed

Here is a short youtube video of the turn signals.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

ORIGINAL: iRIDE

because you cant see it from the rear of the bike, you'll get a ticket for that as soon as someone sees it first time.

Thank goodness my wife is smarter than me. She is forcing me to move it. I am planning to hang it from the battery box.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Dude that's the same converter I was using????? wtf

Quick Reply: Integrating Stock Turn Signals To Stock Taillight of 01 F4i (Updated w/ Pictures)