F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

installing undertail this weekend.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing undertail this weekend.....

I finally got my undertail, directions say for an 04-05 model, but looking at the website http://www.xdcycle.com/store/catalog...DC-p-1164.html

it says for 01-03 which is what I want because mine is an 02, got the gloss black one, hope it fits ok.

Anyways, was it hard getting the stock one off, i know lots of people have done it, any tips, what tools are needed, any help would be much appreciated.

Slip, did you install yours yet, bc we got the same one?

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Default RE: installing undertail this weekend.....

Not hard at all, first time taking my bike apart, the tail section probably 10-15 minutes. Hard part is getting the locking mechanism out, rest is cake.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 PM

I bought A similar one except it's made by Hot Bodies. It's been sitting in closet for about A month now and the more I look at it the less I like it. I'm just not digging those cheesy lights. I think I might take it back and get the one that doesn't replace your stock break light.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM

Funny story, I'm actually about to install it now, 12:28 AM lol... But I need to rework my current tail peice, cause the mounting tabs kind of snapped off. So first I got to rebuild those tabs, and then hopefully I'll have it done tommorrow. I'll take pics of what I can, to try and help you. And You really get what you pay for, I mean the undertail don't look bad. But it doesn't totally fit as flush as I would have liked with the tail peice...

Otherwise, it's alright lol.

As far as taking stock undertail crap off, I wouldn't know. My current undertail is the Mototeck Undertail, but it's all cracked to **** and what not, which is the reason I was getting a new undertail. But as far as taking the tail section off, it's only like 4 bolts. 2 of them are allen, and the other 2 are just a phillips screw driver lol. Oh and if you got the spoiler on, you'll need to take that off obviously, along with your seat lol.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 AM

haha nice slip, well let me know how it goes, im going to start it after work today and hope for the best. The allen tool that is needed appears to be like the smallest one they make, this correct?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 AM

I haven't done the undertail conversion yet. I thought that you needed to saw off a portion of the fender with a dremel to get the undertail to fit on properly...

Also, I would recommended a rear tire hugger so you don't throw rocks up into your new undertail, ruining it.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:03 AM

I don't think a tire hugger really protects that much of the undertail lol. Off the top of my head, not sure what size allen it is. Something metric though lol. It's the same one that takes all the fairing bolts off.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM

I just finished putting the Hot Bodies on my 2004 F4i today. The only part that sucked was the cutting, everything else was cake. I didn't have a problem with the lock at all.

Took about 3 hours total. Of which about 2 hours and 50 minutes were spent with the Dremel. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 AM

Got mine on, took some pics. Disappointed with fitment and what not. I guess, what can you expect when you get something cheap, get what you pay for. Looks decent though. And the LED's are surprisingly bright.

cjlerra, if you got any questions. Ask away. It's really not that bad. If you have a light tester, makes it a bit easier to figure out what wires are what. I'll post pictures when I can, I'm not at my house house at the moment, so I don't have the wire to hook up my camera to the comp.

Good luck though installing it lol.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM

oh nice slip! Im going to try to get it done this week, did you have to use the dremel tool and cut some of the old fender off? The fitment seems to be ok as you said, the very rear of the new undertail seems to just kind of sit there, no screw or anything, did you do anything about that? Im probably gonna screw it to make it tighter and hopefully nicer. Im sure ill have more questions for ya slip, appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: installing undertail this weekend.....