F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Indicators slow to react

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicators slow to react

Hi all.
I am new to this forum so I apologise if I am posting in the wrong section. I am still finding my way around the site.
I have a 2001 CBR 600F4i and and the indicators have started reacting very slowly. If I flick the switch, left or right, the indicators flick once or twice (whilst my thumb is pushed all the way) then when I let go nothing happens for about 5 seconds, then the indicators kick back in and work fine.
If I keep my thumb pushed all the way to the right they work fine, but this is not an ideal way to ride.
Any advice on what to check myself would be helpful as I am yet to find an auto-electrician that is keen/helpful when it comes to bikes.
Thanks and Gday
Col

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Left handlebar switch assembly internals first would be what I would check ... the lil rocker switch in there specifically is what I'd be looking at .... then maybe the flasher in the tail section ...

Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started doing the same thing when it was cold out. Dirt and grime get in the grease between the contacts giving you problems. Open it up, spray some eletronics cleaner in there and put some fresh di-eletric grease on the contacts and it'll be workings like new!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 AM

I opened her up, sprayed some cleaner in there, threw in some grease and she is as good as gold.
Thanks heaps.
Col

Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 AM

No prob ... glad we could help ...

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered Users

My 929 has been doing exactly that for a long time now. When the weather is warm it's fine, but on cold mornings it can take the indicators a good minute to come on. If I leave the indicator on long enough it will start to come on faster, depending how cold it is outside.

I've had some very puzzled looks from auto-electricians when I ask about it, and none were interested in even looking into it, so it seems so odd that the solution would be this simple. Are the auto-sparkies in my town all complete monkeys or what?!

Anyway I'm guessing it's the same problem. When you say contact it'll be something in the handlebar assembly under the indicator switch? I've never pulled that apart before, but I will have to pull it into the garage tomorrow and see if I can figure it out... I'm not normally much of a tinkerer.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoelBlade929
When you say contact it'll be something in the handlebar assembly under the indicator switch?
Yep, just some thin pieces of metal that get grimed up within the switch.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Normally there are 2 philips (+) type screws holding switchs to handle bars and they are located underneath

Bear carfull as last thing you want to do is chew ithe screw head up

Once iys apart there normally is a spring and maybe some small ball bearings maysure you dont loose them . . clean all contacts up and and lubricate the swicths

When putting back together make sure you dont pinch any of the wires which could break the wire and prevent something else fom worinking

As for connections to indicators pull apart and clean then do what others have mentioned and what i tend to do is use electrical tape to cover connections for 2 reasons one it stops the problem from happening again by preventingh anything getting in there 2 it stops the connections from coming apart after you put fairing back on inly to find you got to strip it again

Originally Posted by JoelBlade929
My 929 has been doing exactly that for a long time now. When the weather is warm it's fine, but on cold mornings it can take the indicators a good minute to come on. If I leave the indicator on long enough it will start to come on faster, depending how cold it is outside.

I've had some very puzzled looks from auto-electricians when I ask about it, and none were interested in even looking into it, so it seems so odd that the solution would be this simple. Are the auto-sparkies in my town all complete monkeys or what?!

Anyway I'm guessing it's the same problem. When you say contact it'll be something in the handlebar assembly under the indicator switch? I've never pulled that apart before, but I will have to pull it into the garage tomorrow and see if I can figure it out... I'm not normally much of a tinkerer.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some electronic cleaner and spray the inside.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice. I've been procrastinating about pulling it apart but now the battery is going flat again and my new seats are arriving soon, I have an excuse to pull it off the road and play with it.