F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Indicator Lights on Cluster...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicator Lights on Cluster...

Hey guys, been riding my f4i for over two years and I never really knew:
1) What is the orange light to the right of the tach? Shift light? CEL?
2) Should the temp warning light illuminate when you turn the key to 'ON'? Every other light illuminates when I first turn the ignition on, except that one. I'm guessing it should.. Lastly, What's the temperature that is supposed to turn the temperature light on? What's the hottest the bike should ever get?

Thanks guys.. (I don't have an owners manual and search didnt help)

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

lordy... 1) yes its a shift light.... lol

2) guess ive never had to worry about it... so idk... would go check mine but its in 10000000000000 pieces...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
lordy... 1) yes its a shift light.... lol
covered many times or something? Sorry, couldnt find an answer on search, and i NEVER have the bike in those rev ranges

Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by StoobyMcDooby
covered many times or something? Sorry, couldnt find an answer on search, and i NEVER have the bike in those rev ranges

lol na its cool... hasnt really been brought up much.... I guess I just assume its a general given type of thing <---- dont take that offensively... i am surprised that wasnt in the manual though...

but i guess since u dont ever get ur bike up in those ranges you wouldnt have any idea...

i give u props for keeping the speed down... makes for safer riding (usually)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll wind mine out every once in a while, and have NEVER seen that light come on, except on start-up.
My temp light doesn't come on either (when key is turned). The fan kicks in at 223, and expect these things to heat up a lil while just sittin at lights, or in heavy traffic. You start seein 240 or more, shut it down and chill for a few.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM

thanks for input everybody.. a repair shop put a new coolant temp switch in for me, so it doesnt kick in until 234... it gets up into the 240's all the time... but never higher than that.. And the light still doesnt come on.

But as for the shift light, I always figured that it was a shift light and nothing else, until i talked to a mechanic who said that most all bikes 2000+ have check engine lights.. but i've never noticed one on mine..

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
July 2010 ROTM

its not a shift light LOL
its a rev lmiter light, bounce it off the rev lmiter and watch it flash. its basically there to tell u u have no more rpms to run through
240? my bike never gets about like 225, thats when my fan kicks on

Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM

rev limiter?

na its def a shift light lol... mine turns on as soon as i hit redline... (or you could consider it a oh $hit i need to shift..... light)

a rev limiter is what your engine bounces off of if u hold something full throttle... two totally different things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOBl2qF1gx4

rev. limiter

Last edited by __Z__; 04-30-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
July 2010 ROTM

ARE YOU TELLING ME IM WRONG!!!??
lol jk
ive always heard of the shifts lights going off at your peak point in the rpm range, which usually isnt redline, BUT i guess u can call it a shift light if you want to

Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by vangill
ARE YOU TELLING ME IM WRONG!!!??
lol jk
ive always heard of the shifts lights going off at your peak point in the rpm range, which usually isnt redline, BUT i guess u can call it a shift light if you want to
I think honda has it on there for safety reasons.. but it can be called whatever i suppose lol

A shift light is a warning lamp fitted to vehicles in order to indicate to the driver that maximum RPM has almost been reached. Ideally a shift lamp will illuminate at the engine speed beyond that which delivers the maximum BHP such that the BHP before and after shifting is the same. Accelerating the engine beyond this point is not conducive to rapid acceleration. In use a shift light allows the driver to judge the exact point that a gear change should be carried out without having to glance down at the tachometer. This also increases safety for the driver by keeping his focus on the track at all times.

Quick Reply: Indicator Lights on Cluster...