F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

im so lost... bike is still running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im so lost... bike is still running rich

ever since ive had my bike the fi light had been on. ives tested it and replaced the map abd iat bc thats what it said was bad. didnt change anything, and the ecm will not reset no matter what i do it will not reset. im beggining to think my ecm is bad, but the bike still runs smooth and idles fine, its just rich. i dont like it running that rich, it uses a lot of gas and smells gross. my fpr is good, ive tested it, and all vaccum lines r good and in the right place. my only options i think it could be is the valves maybe or ecm. does anyone know how i can test the ecm? or valves without breaking into it? i dont think the valves could be the issue. they sound good but i know thats not everything. im really leaning towards the ecm due to the light i just have no idea how to test it without pluggin in another one, but of course i have no one really close with a spare for me to try.

does anyone have any ideas of other things i could try? my plugs arent fouling, its not that bad, well they might be fouled, but the bike runs fine so im assuming they arent, its just so rich it bogs, but i dont think its rich enough to wash the oil off the cylinders yet, i dont have any gas leaking out the pipe. reason im gettin worried is bc i rode a long trip today with my exhaust off to lean it out, it was annoying as could be btw. and i got at least 50 more miles out of the tank and i drove it the same and used the same octane and everything. i can understand a little bit of difference, but 50 miles? that seems like a bit of difference to me.

so i need your guys help, im so lost for where to look next.
on a side note has anyone any experience with a 17t font sprocket? is that a bad idea?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 AM

Stupid question...... Have you checked your air cleaner, and ducting going into the engine ? A restricted air filter/ducting will cause a rich condition. Make sure your air filter is clean, and no small animals have made there home in your ducts.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 AM
July 2010 ROTM

At this point there's no stupid question lol. But yes it's got a kandn and it is clean and new. My ductings clean too

Old 06-12-2010, 07:37 AM

Ok, tell me about your bike....whats done to it as far as exhaust goes ? Slip on, stock, full exhaust ??

Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 AM

Also, check your oil level. Your sure all your coils are fully seated, no looses plugs ?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Oils good. Bought time for a change in a couple weeks. Slip on is aftermarket but stock headers. Coils r seated plugs r tight. It's not missing. But one coil didn't click down like The others did Would that throw a code tho. I would think the Nike would be missing like crazy if that was actually a problem. Bit I could be wrong.
One thing about the fi light is it's on constant. I read on the net somewhere that that meant 0 blinks and a bad ECM. But I didn't see it in the manual so I dunno

Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year f4i?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
July 2010 ROTM

2004, also it has no power commander, i tried one and it didnt help at all.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a Cali model is it? Was thinking the O2 sensor in the 06 & Cali models

Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
July 2010 ROTM

the engine is from an 06, but the bike (04) wasnt a cali model so it doesnt have all that emmisions in the harness. the engine didnt have anyhting extra that needed to be plugged in so i assumed it was ok

Quick Reply: im so lost... bike is still running rich