F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I'm scared, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm scared, help!

Well, it's Mother's Day and I'm bored. I've been wanting to remove the two decals on the rear of my bike but I'm scared. I'm unsure how to go about doing it (hair dryer and peel? that easy?) and I'm worried about the decals leaving outlines. Can someone shed some light on this issue and let me know if I'll run into any issues? What's the best method (since I've come across so many methods)?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Default RE: I'm scared, help!

Yeah carefully use a heat gun or hair dryer to remove the decal, then if theres any sticky **** use goo gone to remove the rest of the crap from the decal.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm afraid goo-gone will affect the paint??

Old 05-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Honestly I doubt it, I just used it on my LP windscreen to remove the crap from the sticker, I thought it would affect the tint or something. Never did, just put some on a cloth and wipe it on, then do it a couple times, eventually the stuff just rolls up into little ***** of glue and its gone.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Goo gone works well, just dont rub the painted surface too hard, you will start to see some color come off on the rag. Just rub it slowly and gently and the left over glue will come right off.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Don't leave the heat on too long, or you're actually more likely to have the glue stick to the paint. Only takes about 10-15 seconds from a heat gun on low to get the sticker to want to come off. Then use a straight razor blade to get under the corner. Keep the blade as parallel to the paint as you can get it, so you don't actually go into the clear or paint itself. No need to try and get the whole sticker off at once, either. You can start peeling a section, then heat up the next chunk, peel it off, etc...

Then as others said, use goo gone or a similar product to get rid of any residue. Put the goo gone on a paper towel and then rub it on the paint. You don't want the goo gone directly on the paint in case it runs off and has a chance to sit on it, which is when it will mess up the paint. Otherwise it's perfectly safe.

Chances are the first sticker will take a bit of effort to get it completely gone, just because you haven't done it before. After you do one, you'll have a much better feel for what you'll need to do, so it'll be way easier (and quicker). Don't worry, though, it's pretty basic.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys

Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM

I don't know if this is wrong, but when I took mine off I used carb and choke cleaner to remove the sticky residue, and it worked fine, and might be cheaper than the goo gone.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM

I removed the CBR logo up on the air rams and the 600F4i on the tail using the hairdryer method. Its not hard, you WILL ruin the stickers, and yes be careful with a razor I did scuff my clearcoat being a tard. 10 minutes for the decals, 50 minutes for the glue using goo gone ~_~

Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM

when you guys remove your stickers do you just leave the outline that is left over? i removed all tail section stickers, the front cbr's, the pgm-fi and a few others but they all still have "indents" left in the paint....i figured theres no way around it other than maybe wet-sanding/repainting which is no fun. the tail section actually looks pretty cool since each letter is outlined but the ones up front arent so great...anyone know what i mean?

oh well, you can barely see them unless you look right up close.

Quick Reply: I'm scared, help!