F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I hate my kickstand...dropped bike (no damage)..have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my kickstand...dropped bike (no damage)..have a few Q's

Ya I'm a doofus

So I was cleaning/wiping down my bike after I got caught in the rain! (Yes it rains a few days a year here in AZ and of course I get caught in one of them)....So as I go to move the bike in a different position to clean it (by rolling it forward from the kickstand side of the bike with hands on both grips) as I've done a thousand times before, my bent (bought the bike with it this way) poor excuse for a kickstand must have flipped up on its own and when I went to lay it back on what I thought was the kickstand, I layed it down (THANK GOD gently) instead of just dropping it hard...So as SOON as I noticed "oh snap theres no kickstand the bikes dropping", my 145lb skinny **** lifted that full tank of gas **** within a second. The bike got low enough to touch and tap the footpeg and possibly the stator cover but I didnt see a scuff....Here's my question

Motorcycles are OBVIOUSLY not designed to ever be on their side. I have only dropped this bike once before and it was the very first day I bought it and was doing a 2 mph u turn on a bent rim with 15psi in the front...the only damage was a scuffed stator cover BUT later on when changing my air filter to a BMC, my buddy noticed a tiny bit of some type of dried fluid in my airbox...not enough to ever matter but we wondered what it was? I read a post on here that when the F4i goes down, some oil shoots up into the airbox...well the bike went down this time softer than it had the first time, and I am wondering if there are any mechanical issues (e.g like the oil in the airbox) that I should worry about?

I rode it 100 miles right after I dropped it and mechanically everything seems as strong as before. Just wanted your opinions on what potential issues happen to the F4i when it is dropped! (e.g. oil in the airbox)

Even though mechaically everything works great...Im tempted to open up that airbox and soak up ANY oil in there with a rag...funny thing is, the reality of it, there probably isnt even any in there. My OCD mind has me thinking though...God forbid enough made it to soak my filter!!! No cant be! Not TOO much oil seems to make it up into that airbox when the F4i is layed on its side...at least it didnt look like it from the first drop

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 04-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Your bike is fine.

There isn't going to be any oil in your airbox. Most bikes are able to corner that low on the track.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM

When you are cornering the forces of gravity do not apply, given inertia of the bike and its contents (ie. oil)? I was not a physics major, but that sounds right to me. When the bike is falling the fluid is falling and the sudden STOP of the falling fluid can cause it to go places you do not want it to be!

If you run a paper filter, I would check it just to be sure. You do NOT want to be sucking oil soaked paper into your engine! I like to err on the side of caution...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
When you are cornering the forces of gravity do not apply, given inertia of the bike and its contents (ie. oil)? I was not a physics major, but that sounds right to me. When the bike is falling the fluid is falling and the sudden STOP of the falling fluid can cause it to go places you do not want it to be!

If you run a paper filter, I would check it just to be sure. You do NOT want to be sucking oil soaked paper into your engine! I like to err on the side of caution...
I run a street BMC filter....and the last time it fell...it fell harder than this time and there was only a few ml of dried oil in the bottom of the airbox..I would think it would need to fall HARD to get oil, and enough of it, up to the top where the filter sits...plus I would "assume" if indeed the filter got wet from oil, Id feel a difference as the engine wouldnt be able to suck as much air as usual....but yes, I too always like to err on the side of caution....Anything else I should be thinking about rather than the oil in the airbox?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM

You should be fine. I think as long as the bike wasn't running for a little while, when it was on its fine you will be ok. As a side note, you can do the clean air box/PAIR removal mod to guarantee you will never have oil in the airbox.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read of some poor guy (without stands) laying the bike on it's side to change out stator covers without losing oil and to remove/maintain forks. Sounds crazy. Cant find the thread but it can be done.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM

You can lay the bike on it's side anytime and it won't mess anything up. Most stunters do their front tire changes without a stand because they lay it on the cage. As far as I know the bike has to be lying on the left side and running to get oil into the airbox to hydrolock the motor. and even then you would need it to run for like 15 seconds. if you got it out again with no issues, you are fine. These bikes are tanks.

And +1 on the clean air mod. The bike can run on it's left side with that in place.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM

When I was living in Melbourne, there was a guy there with a CBR250rr that he had turned into a street fighter. He had no kick stand on the bike, he just put it down on its side to park it... like a teenager does with his BMX. It was pretty funny to see it laying on the sidewalk or in a parking stall.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Funny you posted this I just did the exact same thing in my garage except it fell on it's right. I was moving it and exhausted me (long day at work) grabbed the front brake and it just went down. Thank god the fairings aren't on it. I feel like an idiot but the only damage is a small scuff on the exhaust, clutch casing, handlebar end and my nice red anodized brake lever

Last edited by Kevwa451; 04-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM

There are lots of OEM kickstands on eBay.

I just bought one last night so I can shorten it for my lowered bike (keeping my original so I can always put it back to stock height).

Quick Reply: I hate my kickstand...dropped bike (no damage)..have a few Q's