F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How to replace spark plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace spark plugs...

Is there an easier way to do this other than the way in the service manual? I can't get the ignition coils off the spark plugs because it is such a tight fit...

Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: How to replace spark plugs...

You can either drop the radiator a bit or from what i understand u can take off the tank and hold it there then take the airbox completely apart. I think ill be doing it the radiator way one of these days

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM

I haven't heard of the radiator way, but I do all my own service and it's not that hard to take the tank off and then take the air cleaner box off. Once you have that done, I found that it is a tight fit, but you can get the coils out by tilting them while you are lifting them out. Not to sound liike an *** or anything, but it is easier if you disconnect the wiring harness from them before removing as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM

The radiator way is the way in the manual, u drop 2 bolts and drop the radiator. Seems to be the fastest and easiest as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM

I just replaced my plugs a week ago and because I also replaced the CCTL I took the tank and airbox off. If you twist the coils that will sort opf loosen um up and make them a little easier to take out. Make sure when you put them back in that you push them in all the way.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone...

After some struggling I finally got them out. I found that if you twist, bend, and pull at the same time they come out fairly easy.

I did it the "radiator drop" way and it was fairly easy, but I do have all of my fairings off the bike. It would be pretty hard to do this without all the front plastic off. I would recomed the "airbox" approach if you don't have the fairings off, it sounds a lot easier.

Also, if you are close to the mileage that you are supposed to replace the plugs and you have your bike apart for some reason, you might as well change them out then. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Thanks again...

Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bakesf4i

I just replaced my plugs a week ago and because I also replaced the CCTL I took the tank and airbox off. If you twist the coils that will sort opf loosen um up and make them a little easier to take out. Make sure when you put them back in that you push them in all the way.
How do you know if they are pushed in all the way? I heard about two clicks and that is it.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tollfree969
How do you know if they are pushed in all the way? I heard about two clicks and that is it.
i just changed mine last weekend, and i think mine clicked in two or three times as well. just push them in as hard as you can and they should be good. make sure once you do all of them that they all look like they are sitting at the same height. i did mine by removing the airbox, so im not sure how much you can see from the radiator side, but they should stick out of the block about an inch or so. did you use anti-seize on the threads?

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM

btw where can we buy plugs online? and when should they be changed. Every 5k miles?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM

www.sparkplugs.com

I think the manual calls for changing them every 16,000 miles.

I went in form the top and that was a pain but I could at least see what I was doing. Just from looking at it, it seems harder to go in from the bottom.

Quick Reply: How to replace spark plugs...