F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How much does it cost to put new brakes on my cbr?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does it cost to put new brakes on my cbr?

I am looking to buy an 01 cbr600 f4i with 26k miles with a sprocket and he says it is probably 18k. However, he said the bike might need new brakes soon. How much would that cost plus labor do you guys think?

Also what is a good asking price for the bike? Everything is fine but the new brakes and average worn tires.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM

you could order up a set of pads for about 50.00 USD from amazon and do it yourself.... get some brake fluid... simple process just take your time

other than labor from a dealer they will do book estimating for you

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Smile

I'm not sure how much labor cost, I do my own brake service. But you should read up on the different types of brakes and pick the ones you feel is best for you and your bike. If you are doing it yourself, remember to avoid getting brake fluids on your tires as you are on two wheels!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 AM

While I've only been riding a couple years myself and, my previous bike had drums on the bike which I predominantly used over the front brake..wouldn't you have to resurface the rotors like you do for every other type of vehicle out there? Even then, you can only get away with resurfacing the rotor so much before you have to replace them..

Doing the work on your own is the best option if you do it right, just remember to bleed the brake lines and get any air out of the hoses when you top everything up. Assuming the resurfacing bit applies, you should be able to find a local shop that will do it for cheap, best to shop around, brake pads typically aren't too expensive either.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM

you can rough up the rotor a little but turning the rotor can be done also. what i have found is turning of the rotor is not a simple process for motorcycle rotor.

would run them till you need new ones... then take it easy on the new ones till they are broke in well.... same advise someone on here gave me...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by stlcbr600f4_newb
you could order up a set of pads for about 50.00 USD from amazon and do it yourself.... get some brake fluid... simple process just take your time

other than labor from a dealer they will do book estimating for you
This. Most of the guys here recommend EBC Double H pads if you want some aftermarket options, they are REALLY squeaky when cold but offer better stopping power when warm. OEM is obviously a great option too.

Brake fluid bleed is important, most people neglect for a long time. If you do it yourself, just make sure you take your time and make sure you don't let any bubbles into the system or else you'll have strange braking behavior!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
July 2008 ROTM

There's no way that the sprocket caused that much difference in the miles on the bike. Sprocket changes only affect maybe 5-10% of the speed and mileage, depending on the ratio change. That means that even if it was on since brand new, there would only be a 2,600 mile difference from what the gauge said.

For brakes, it depends what exactly on the brake system needs to be replaced. Brake pads themselves are inexpensive and easy to replace. Rotors are more expensive (although there are cheap knockoffs on eBay with mixed reviews), but also easy to replace. Brake lines and fluid are more complicated (I hate doing them), but not that much overall.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Do it yourself. More satisfaction and it helps you understand your bike better...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken
There's no way that the sprocket caused that much difference in the miles on the bike. Sprocket changes only affect maybe 5-10% of the speed and mileage, depending on the ratio change. That means that even if it was on since brand new, there would only be a 2,600 mile difference from what the gauge said.
+1

I was just going to menton this.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the replys guys! I picked her up last night and boy is this a huge upgrade from my f2

Quick Reply: How much does it cost to put new brakes on my cbr?