F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How To Mod the Stock CCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Mod the Stock CCT

I'm looking for some how-tos on how to mod the stock tensioner. From what I have heard the APE tensioner isn't really for me because I don't want to worry about it loosening up or having it set too tight or too loose so I decided that I'm going to mod the stock CCT but haven't been able to get any answers, so if you have done it please share with the rest of us how to do it. Thanks guys

-Jesse-

Old 04-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How To Mod the Stock CCT

ok mang...check the pix...
just use a center punch thing...you know...like in woodshop when you have to countersink the nail and the **** it so you can sand it and paint it?
just flare out the pin on the head...you'll see...one on top of the pix is flared, bottom is not...bottom one rattles, the top doesn't!
T

Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM

this is what to use mang...

Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 PM

how cheap is the stock cam chain tensioner and can you get it online?

Old 04-24-2006, 06:21 PM

depends where you go online...
www.ronayers.com is usually cheaper for some parts but not all.

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....=14520-MBW-J23

$49 big ones!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:51 AM

So i'm planning on modding my stock CCT this weekend and I have a few quick questions

1. I had the APE installed on my bike and the gasket that first came with the CCT is still attached to the stock CCT. Should I use the gasket thats with the APE, the one already joined with my stock CCT, or do I need a new one?

2. Since i'm dealing with the stock CCT I dont have a key and the shaft is fully extended. Can I do the install with the shaft extended or do I have to find a key to do it?

3. When i'm done flaring the pin in the head of the cctl should I make sure that it can't move around at all before the install?

H

Old 07-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Just to clarify, you guys are saying that flaring that pin in the stock cctl will solve the rattling problem? Or do you have to replace the bolt with the longer one described in the other thread called the jamby mod or something like that?

Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 AM

We believe flaring the pin will solve the problem, if I can get answers to my q's i'll be doin it this weekend and will report back with results

H

Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 PM

hello i'm new here and just purchased an 02 f4i and i have the same rattle in my bike is it something that is damaging to the bike or just annoying. just would like to know so i know how high of a priority to make it.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:37 PM

hibby, didn't you take the sucker apart already or something?
if you wedge a very thin screwdriver, like the type you use for glasses, in there, and turn right, the shaft will retract.

you'll need a new gasket. yes, flare the pin out. i used a nail punch to do so...make sure the otherside is properly supported so it doesn't come shooting out the other end. make sure the pin no longer moves.

now as you do this, you'll notice that the entire shaft has some play too, as far as my dealings with it, even stock from the factory, both the pin and the shaft have some play and will make some noise, but the really noisy ones...the pin has even more play.

vdub...there is always going to be some noise with the bike, and it's hard to decipher between things as bike rattle, vavle chatter, header leak, etc. with cctl as they are all some sort of clicking sounds...and based on the design of the stock cctl, it will make some noise...but it shouldn't make it to the extent that i've seen on some of these bikes...where it feels as if the entire tank is about to shake off.

T

Quick Reply: How To Mod the Stock CCT