F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How long does your F4i stay on high Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How long does your F4i stay on high Idle?

hey guys,

My 01 F4i sits on a high idle of about 3k for a solid 2 -3 minutes when I first fire her up. which from stone cold I could almost understand.
However even if she's warm from a run, it will still idle high for a minute or two when I fire it up. Like clockwork the idle starts to drop to normal around 70 - 72 degrees.
Just seems excessive to me but I don't know any other F4i owners to compare with.
Its actually irritating enough that I will just start it in first gear when Im ready to go (after its already been ridden ). just to avoid the wait , I cant bring myself to stomp it into first gear when she's idling at 3k.
Thats another thing is 3k about right for the high idle on these bikes? I have it set to idle around 1100 when its warmed up, nice smooth idle. I just cringe when I fire it up cold and it idles that high.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think 3k is a little high , from cold it should be about 2.5 till the wax unit kicks in , have you change coolant recently, maybe starter valves need a sync, or just your coolant pipes need a clean through around the wax unit

Old 05-09-2019, 05:05 AM

I flushed out the cooling system over the winter last year, and changed the coolant. I did not however do anything with the wax unit. I may need to check that out.
I'm guessing from the shape the old girl was in when I rescued her that its never had the throttle bodies or anything else synced for that matter.

May be time to look into that. Could that cause issues only on initial warm up?
My first thought (coming from a car background) was vac leak of some type. but since its so predictable and consistent , I dismissed that idea. The bike has absolutely no issues when idling or riding.
Is it possible for a wax unit to just bung up over time? and get sticky?

I'll have to look into the operation of the wax unit a little further, Im only going off the sound of the name, but assuming it is just that ,, wax that holds the throttle up until it melts letting the idle come down.
doesn't really sound like something that could fail directly, but the more I think about what you said regarding the lines going to it, if the coolant isn't flowing around it enough , it could cause it to sit on high idle longer,.

I'll take a look.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No they just give it that name, its actually a Bimetal spring, but sometimes sludge collects in the pipes and causes the unit not to work at optimal, always a good idea when you change coolant to clean through the pipes leading to the unit

Old 05-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

That idle speed seems WAY high but, like you, I only have my own to compare it to. My "cold" idle is around 1500-1600 until warm and then it drops to 1100-1200. Takes between 1 to 2 minutes depending on outside temps...

Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

My bike has hit 3k when its in the 30's[f] outside and its dead cold. When you say idle drops around 72* Im guessing thats in C and on the temp gauge? That would mean its not dropping until fully warmed up, thats wrong. The waxing unit must be acting up.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys, starting to make a little more sense now.
Think this weekend I'll pull it and give it a good looking over and cleaning

To me it always seemed excessive, but has been like that since day 1 so I wasn't sure.
but ya seems like its pretty much warmed up before it starts to drop.

Hopefully I discover something this weekend.

And thanks for the run down on how it operates, like I said I was just assuming from the name. I should be able to at least test a few things out this weekend