F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how hard is it to install SS brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to install SS brake lines?

I just bought the galfer front SS brake lines, and was wondering if it something i could do myself, or am i better off having the mechanics do it. i mean ive done brakes on cars, but ive never actually replaces brake lines. thanks guys

Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Default RE: how hard is it to install SS brake lines?

This I would leave to the pros....don't want to chance messing anything up with your breaks! But I don't think it's that hard to do.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would do it yourself. it's very straight forward.
it is a pain unless you have the mighty vac but it's all good mang!
if you want to ride the bike well, you should do the work yourself so you know your machine.
my experience with the mechanics is that most are not that inclined!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM

yea good point, its not that im not mechanically inclined, its just that i dont want to mess up something as important as brakes. But ive read through some online instructions for installing them, and it doesnt seem to hard. so i'll prolly give it a shot. Worse comes to worse i'll have to ride the bike and engine brake the whole time. lol. or throw it on a flat bed. lol

Old 05-17-2006, 06:59 PM

The biggest/most common mistake you could make with your brakes is that you leave air in your line. If this was to happen your brakes wouldn't work at all. Therefore you aren't taking to big a risk trying it yourself. You'll know if you did it right. I'm not sure what's involved with bleeding the lines. I think from what Tahoe is saying you need a pump to prime the brake lines.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pump just makes it easier.
this is what you need to do. take off the calipers, remove the banjo bolt and let the fluid drain out. do that for both sides. DO NOT GET ANY FLIUD on plastics, metal, etc...it will eat through the paint, and your plastics...your skin too! so drain it in a little bucket or something. after it stops, remove the banjo at the reservoir. now replace with the ss stuff...and tighten up the banjo and resevoir to the specs provided by galfer or goodridge. pour fluid into the resevoir...pump like 20 or 30 times, hold lever, loosen bleeder screw, close bleeder screw, release brake lever...do this over for a long time, as the lines take a long time to prime initially, hence if you had the vac it's easier. so you just keep pumping, hold lever, release screw, tight screw, release lever...then pump, hold, tighten, release...pump over and over again until fluid starts coming out and then you keep doing this until you see no bubbles. the last thing you bleed the screw up by the reservoir. make sure you have enough fluid.

it's a pain but mang...nothing like doing your own work!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 AM

Quick question. How do you bleed the screw up by the reservoir?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM

I bought Galfer lines too a couple weeks ago and I just don't feel comfortable enough to do that on my own. It looks and sounds easy but man if I screwed up there's a HUGE price to pay if you can't stop! I'd rather pay a mechanic to do it and be comfortable with my ride.

Besides, if he does mess 'em up at least I have someone else to blame... AND SUE!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 PM

jjkukla u have a good point, im gonna just spend the money to have it done.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM

Finally someone that agrees with me!!

Actually if I had someone show me how to do it or if I watched someone change their own lines then I would feel more comfortable doing something like that. Although I do appreciate the people who have given step by step instructions, simply reading instructions online or out of the shop manual isn't quite enough for me.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to install SS brake lines?