F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how far is too far

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how far is too far

I've been riding for a while now. I have started to learn how to reposition my weight before going into corners but it still doesn't feel natural. Now, I only have riding jeans, no leathers yet. Anyway, I was taking some pretty nasty corners the other day and didn't know how low the bike would go before I low sided due to no more traction.
So how far can I get it over before she slides out from under me? Any suggestions on how to get use to set up for corners too? I don't want to learn bad habbits I want to learn how to do it correctly.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you. Before I started hanging off, I was able to lean the bike until the footpegs dragged. Now that I'm cornering properly, I'm not coming even close to dragging them, although I'm able to take the same corners faster than before.
When hanging off, it should feel natural, and the weight of your body should be supported by your core (legs/stomach), with minimal weight on your handlebars.
I would say that depending on type of tires you have, chances are that these bikes in OEM configuration, will max out their lean angle by scraping hard parts, before the tires are at their limit. Granted, road surface, tire temperature, and speed are definitely factors for determining traction.
These are just some simple observations from a beginer, and I'm sure more experienced riders may provide more information. BTW, I wouldn't attempt too much lean without proper pants.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
I'm in the same boat as you. Before I started hanging off, I was able to lean the bike until the footpegs dragged. Now that I'm cornering properly, I'm not coming even close to dragging them, although I'm able to take the same corners faster than before.
When hanging off, it should feel natural, and the weight of your body should be supported by your core (legs/stomach), with minimal weight on your handlebars.
I would say that depending on type of tires you have, chances are that these bikes in OEM configuration, will max out their lean angle by scraping hard parts, before the tires are at their limit. Granted, road surface, tire temperature, and speed are definitely factors for determining traction.
These are just some simple observations from a beginer, and I'm sure more experienced riders may provide more information. BTW, I wouldn't attempt too much lean without proper pants.
Have you ever hit your pegs? I sometimes want to lean more but am afraid that i will chop the peg and buck me off. How can i tell if i am too close?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxb5nRufuZ8

I'd also recommend Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code. I've read it through and re-read several sections and it's helped a lot. If you want a summation, it's about experience and growing a set of ***** when you want to learn proper cornering, but the 15 some-odd chapters of details offers a lot of help, too

Also, worst case scenario you can use your elbows and knees to get yourself back up again... I.E Colin Edwards:

http://www.extremesportclips.com/vid...-Big-Save.html

If you need any boosts in confidence in your bike's ability to lean and handle, just look up track review tests of your bike and photos of your bike being ridden in stockish form around a track... they get these things down to the plastics sometimes and the bikes look planted and unless they put race rubbers on, it's the same thing you're riding w/o power add ons.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 AM

Yea twist of the wrist is a great book.... my friend gave it to me before i got my bike, he told me go through it before i even get on the bike... til this day im still going thru the book to get better and better...

Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 AM

haha Raylee beat me to it. Awesome vid. I watch it before every weekend ride.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 AM

Great videos, thanks for sharing!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 AM

Awesome post Raylee!!

Thanks for sharing those vids

Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by srtcbr
I've been riding for a while now. I have started to learn how to reposition my weight before going into corners but it still doesn't feel natural. Now, I only have riding jeans, no leathers yet. Anyway, I was taking some pretty nasty corners the other day and didn't know how low the bike would go before I low sided due to no more traction.
So how far can I get it over before she slides out from under me? Any suggestions on how to get use to set up for corners too? I don't want to learn bad habbits I want to learn how to do it correctly.

You'd do well to have a track day at the closest track and hunt down a competent instructor or control rider on the track. They can pull you through the corners and follow you through to comment on riding style and body position--in real time.

When you are pushing hard at the track, it is a very athletic thing. You are constantly shifting position on the seat, moving your hips and balancing on your feet. If you're doing it right, it is surprisingly tiring. Seven laps is about my limit at one go.

Ridden correctly and with properly set up suspension and tires, the F4i will lean over more than you're probably willing to take it. You'll start dragging the pegs and your boots before it reaches traction limits, especially if you learn to hang off inside the turn.

Even without hanging, it's got a lot of lean to give.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM

i've scraped my toes twice on my f4i in the twisties. i would encourage you to read that book and watch those videos. i would say get proper gear before you go hanging off. jeans won't help when you drag your knee. good luck!