F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how to beat the heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to beat the heat

So as many of you know the heat wave that hit us in the midwest (MN) is barely manageable. I still plan on riding the bike every day because 45mpg is much better than 15 in my truck.
So my question is how do you guys deal with the heat in full gear? Any tips or tricks from people that deal with this on a regular basis? I'm thinking of removing my windscreen and possibly adding some kind of fabric/felt around the tank so my legs don't burn.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM

heh, yeah, heat index today of 103. So hot that when your riding it feels like someone just has a heater turned on. the airs not even cool at 60 mph. lol

but, its manageable, i don't do anything different.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cooling vests all have good reviews. personally havent used one.
Fieldsheer Iceberg Vest - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

The gear itself is the key to staying comfortable. Always wear some "high tech" undershirt, such as underarmor or some other moisture wicking fabric. That in itself makes a HUGE difference when wearing leathers on 100 degree days.
Cotton shirts will just keep you soaked with sweat and will not dry under leather.

And Monkey Butt, lots of monkey butt.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM

I agree with sick, underarmor is what helps me in 90+ weather. Mesh jackets, and keep yourself hydrated. That's what'll get you through the ride.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM

I live in Mn too. I would just drive the truck and be comfortable. I would be too afraid of my bike overheating.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Egypt Junior Member

a water back-pack should keep you cool as well! ....
i always do so, and i live in cairo, egypt. The average temperature is 40 degrees.... ttttsssss!

and this under-armor idea is awesome too! i can't wait to give it a go!

p.s. i wouldn't recommend removing the visor, ...or atleast as long as you are protecting your eyes in some way.... better a squashed bug on your visor than a squashed eye ball....or 2 ... owh-ah!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM

i suck it up and just think that its better than letting my pretty skin being left all over the pavement, and most summers its a little over 100 all summer ( northern california ) sometime i freeze my under armor shirt at work for the way home. and on a really ****tty day i will have to turn the bike off at a stop light if it doesent change right away.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM

So far the bike overheating hasn't been an issue. It can reach 230 at a stop then the radiator fan kicks in and brings it down to 222 reliably. What I've been doing is carrying water with me and splashing myself and letting evaporation do it's job. Really regretting my black helmet and gloves lately haha.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM

112+ here everyday lovin it! Nothing like riding in AZ

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM

It has been hot and humid here the past few days. Reminds me of back home in Minnesota.

What i do to is as im riding is open the visor to the 1st lock and tuck down a little more. The airflow roles through really nice at 40+. And open all my jacket vents. Makes it a little more tolerable. I do like the underarmor idea. Going to have to give that a try.

Have fun. keep the rubber down!

Quick Reply: how to beat the heat