F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Horrible tapping/clicking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible tapping/clicking noise.

2002 CBR600 F4i
32,500 miles.
Power Commander
K&N Filter
APE CCT

Decided to go out earlier to enjoy a short ride since weather is slowly getting colder. I started the bike, everything seemed normal, no issues. I rode about 8 miles before coming to my first stoplight. As I was slowing down, that's when I heard the noise start. I do not know when exactly it wouldve started because those 8 miles was a constant 60mph with no stops.

At idle and low RPM it sounds like BB's in a can. 5k or above, the sound is gone. I was not riding around on purpose with this noise - I only know that because I babied it home after the noise started. As the RPM's climb it goes from a tapping, to like.. a whistle (or air rushing through something) to nothing.

It's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. It's sounds like it's below/in front of the gas tank. I tried getting multiple angles hoping one angle would give better sound than another.

From what I have seen on here, seems like it might be the CCT? It currently has an APE CCT on it. What do you guys recommend I do as my next step?

Thank you in advance gentlemen!

Guess that sound! - CBR600 F4i - YouTube

Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 AM

First check the cct adjustment and make sure it hasn't backed out from vibration, and you'll be able to listen for the noise while you’re making the adjustment.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 AM

lol maybe something simple like some rocks stuck in the fairing, jumping around from the vibration.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 AM

maybe check for a exhaust leak, it`ll make a similar sound.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM

sounds like a manual CCTL that is set too loose.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stingray nailed it. Thats the same exact sound when your CCTL is way too loose. If it gets any more loose you risk the timing chain jumping the teeth. (very very very bad)

Make sure bike is warmed up and then with bike still running adjust the cctl with your finger until the sound is gone, then turn 1/8th turn more. Then shutoff motor and tighten locknut.

DO NOT LET GO of the cctl bolt with motor running or it will back itself out in a few seconds with the vibrations. it's very easy to turn with your fingers when the motor is running and only takes very fine adjustments.

This is more-less an FYI post because i've tinkered with these damn CCTLs for countless hours and have become quite familiar with them.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 12-06-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM

Kinda hard to tell from the video, but what side of the bike do you hear the noise coming from? I have a similar noise on my bike but its clearly coming from the left (clutch lever) side. Since the cctl is on the right (brake lever) side im unsure if its the cctl rattling. I was also told it could be an exhaust leak at the manifold but im unsure. If anyone more experienced wants to chime in, id love to hear opinions.

this kinda turned into a threadjack...sorry

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Thank you all for the help! I'll check it out and see what comes of that. I really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by speedyf4i
Kinda hard to tell from the video, but what side of the bike do you hear the noise coming from? I have a similar noise on my bike but its clearly coming from the left (clutch lever) side. Since the cctl is on the right (brake lever) side im unsure if its the cctl rattling. I was also told it could be an exhaust leak at the manifold but im unsure. If anyone more experienced wants to chime in, id love to hear opinions.

this kinda turned into a threadjack...sorry
It sounds like its coming from dead center in the front. You can hear it feet away from the bike.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can feel around for exhaust leaks esp on a cold start. Header leaks are rare unless the bike has been damaged.

IMO is sounds more metallic than an exhaust leak.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Yea mine is pretty loud too. i started hearing it after i drove down a dirt road so i assumed it was just rocks rattling around and the noise would change depending on if i leaned my bike one way or another so i wasnt too worried about it. it had been a couple months and a couple washes and the noise is still there although i never have taken the fairings off to actually check it out. And my bike has been downed so i guess the exhaust leak isnt totally out of the question. its parked fo winter so ill be taking it apart in the spring anyway. I guess we shall see next season.

Quick Reply: Horrible tapping/clicking noise.