F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hooks/Grommets on the Fairings, HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooks/Grommets on the Fairings, HELP ASAP!

Hey I got all the bolts off of the fearing and the "clips" on the bottom, however I can't seem to get these "hooks" out of the "grommets" at the top as specified in the manual. I would yank on it but I don't know if that's correct and I don't wanna break anything. Help ASAP would be appreciated, I need to change my oil/filter tonight!!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hooks/Grommets on the Fairings, HELP ASAP!

Why are you taking the fairings off to change the oil?

But to answer your question, are you referring to the top of the fairing where it goes into the grey air duct cover? If so, those are just pushed in and if you just kinda wedge your fingers in there behind the fairing and gently give it a good tug it'll just pop right out

Old 07-15-2006, 01:39 AM

Ok I'll try that, I know I don't HAVE to remove the fairings, but I heard some oil drips in between them if you don't remove them...so I don't want a dirty bike :P

Old 07-15-2006, 05:03 AM

Ok I just replaced the oil and the filter without a problem, as for the fairing, i just had to tug on it a lil more, I was afraid to break something in the beginning, but it's not very difficult. My question is...HOW THE HELL DO YOU CHANGE THE OIL WITHOUT REMOVING THE FAIRINGS?? That's ridiculous, not only am I amazed at how you can remove the oil filter from that angle, but how you manage not to get oil all over the place.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's super easy on the F4i... RR you do need to take the fairings off cuz the oil filter is sideways and it's the only way to get it off. But the F4i the filter is a straight shot right between the 2 header pipes, just turn the front wheel and use a filter socket with an extention and a ratchet, and it comes right out. Just be careful taking it out and it won't spill all over everything.... as soon as it's unthreaded tip the filter up so it doesn't drain out. Very little oil gets on the inside of the fairings, and if any does I just wipe it up right away and clean it off with cleaner. Then spray the header pipes with brake cleaner to get any oil off those (and it'll still smoke a little the first ride after), and you're good to go!

Old 07-15-2006, 02:44 PM

yes.. I spent 1 hour before I gave in and bought the $6 socket.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 PM

the part you are talking about looks like a philips screw head and is black??