F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

home made race gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made race gas

anybody using toluene added to your fuel for higher octane? i run it in my car, some friends as well with no problems. i wouldnt think there would be any difference for a bike...so anybody? or am i just going to have to find out myself first :P

edit: just incase anybody is wondering what im talking about, this is the article that got me on it for my car.
http://s95014253.onlinehome.us/63104/83437.html

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: home made race gas

good luck but our bikes only call for 89, but whatever floats your boat hope you dont screw anything up.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM

somebody needs to air a public service announcement on EVERY channel simultaneously for a week about this
HIGH OCTANE ONLY HELPS WHEN YOU HAVE AN ENGINE WITH HIGHER THAN NORMAL COMPRESSION (ie "built" motor) and even then it is only used to keep up with the new compression ratio of that engine, not to boost horsepower

RACE GAS is usually oxygenated and leaded fuel without all the crap that is in pump gas to dilute it. Even AMA Superbikes used MR9 which is 87 octane until this year (its no longer legal in AMA).

Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM

1.) As stated above higher octane does not = more power.

2.) Even the article you link states the mixture will not be linear...Basically your calculations are out the window on this one... The first gallon you use may only see a 1/2 octane increase while the second gallon you use in the same tank may see a 4-5 octane increase...I would be afraid of an octane decrease resulting in detonation during WOT if I where you...and no you typically can't hear it....Talk about messing up your fuel trims, timing maps,and 02 sensor readings. (speaking of cars)

3.)Do you know what the energy rating on this stuff is?? (usually measured in British Thermal Units)
It is very possible that this stuff may have a higher octane rating, but at the same time have less energy per gallon ultimately resulting in MORE fuel used to acheive the same goal....Just like ethenal...Ethenal does mix in a linear fashion if mixed correctly (from what I understand), and ethenal does have a higher octane rating..Did you know that E-85, or even 10% ethanel mixhas a higher octane rating than than the same fuel with no ethanel.E-85 (85% ethanel) locally costs less then regulaur fuel...Even though E-85 costs less and has a higher octane rating than gasoline it actually costs the same or more to run as gasoline because you lose fuel efficiency due it not being as efficient...Only true difference is that you are supporing our local Farmers rather than some foreign "ally" or extremist...

4.) That article states that higher octane will benefit newer computer controlled cars and that the release stating that higher octane fuel is a waste of money is outdated.....This is incorrect... While it is true running a higher octane fuel and advancing the timing will help to a point, this isn't always the case....
The ECU can only advance the timing so much...The point is to burn all the fuel by a few degrees (IIRC around 10 degrees) ATDC....Even though the timing is computer controlled the same mechanical theory still applies.
Todays engines and timing is controlled by the ECU, true...My 89 Mustang had a base timing of 10 degrees BTDC and was electronically controlled...My 2000 Nissan has a knock sensor and is obviously electronically controlled...OBD-II has been mandatory on ALL vehicles in the U.S. since 1996..
point is that advancing timing and adding higher octane fuel can be beneficial...but not on a STOCK ECU without a reflash and not much if any on a stock engine.......Common sence tells you that you can't use 115 octane fuel and advance your timing to 50 degrees BTDC and have it be beneficial....Especially with fuel that has a lower BTU rating than gasoline.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Banned

I can buy 100 unleaded (for my 1970Vette)AND 110 unleaded in my town. Go to the Sunoco site and look for the race gas program. If you are gonna put something in your bike, at least make it something that has a few chemists mixing it. But like everyone else says, high octane is only good for motors designed for it. Put 93 in it if you want, but adding toluene sounds kinda dopey.

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/p...i/toluene.html

These site explain the benefits of toluene pretty well, but I don't trust the internet when it come to putting solvents into my motor.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM

im not saying it increases power....did i say that? no... i know what it does on cars though....i use it. just asking if anybody has tried it on our bikes or any bike for that matter.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: lild14

im not saying it increases power....did i say that? no... i know what it does on cars though....i use it. just asking if anybody has tried it on our bikes or any bike for that matter.
well you called it "homemade race gas" viaincreasing octane, so while no you didn't specifically state it would improve power, it was certainly hinted at

Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM

sportbikes (unless compression is raised) are optimized on about 87-89 octane. Just going off that article you posted, that stuff will raise your octane up a good bit higher than that so if your using 93 octane, you'll wind up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 96 octane; on a bike that works best on 87-89...

no I have never used this stuff and never will because I'm not into spending good money to slow my bike down (I generally like to go the other way with this kinda thing)

cars usually have higher compression ratios so they might run better on higher octane but not bikes (again, unless you've got a higher than normal compression ratio due usually to advanced ignition timing or engine modifications)

Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Yup...in order to see any benefit whatsoever on higher octane your engine must be tuned for it. 93 burns less clean than 87 in our bikes...ever get that gas smell in your exhaust when you're running >93? That's because it's not burning as thoroughly as the 87 or 89. Now if you've messed with your ignition timing or cam profile or compression ratio than higher octane will allow you to get more power before detonation...but in a stock vehicle (any stock engine) higher octane is just a waste a money. It's simple physics. 93 is more stable and takes longer to burn than 87...therefore it can take higher cylinder pressures and heat without preignition...and only by having your engine tuned to extract more energy from the gas will you see more power...not because of the octane rating of the gasoline. It just lets you do more radical tuning in the first place. Make sense?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Its weird how the manual says 89 but the sticker in the back fender (plastic piece) says use 91 only.

My f4i has even higher compression then my car (11.0:1) and ive used nothing but super for 5yrs and 133k miles and i plan on using super on my bike as well.

Quick Reply: home made race gas