F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Higher Comp. pistons.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher Comp. pistons.....

Has anyone put higher compression pistons in an f4i??? Ive tossed around the idea, because i know a few newer bikes are coming with higher compression, and thats a good reason for them being a litttle quicker.

Also, what are your guys thoughts on turbo kits for the f4i????

Old 07-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Higher Comp. pistons.....

I'm for turbo kits on anything you can turbo just be warned that you'll be constantly tinkering with the thing from now on. It's a fine line between power and reliability. Oh, and boost is very addictive. I mean like heroine or cocaine addictive.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:26 PM

What size turbo would be good for an f4i, and it has to be one that will actually fit in front of the engine. lol Would a turbo from a new evo work?

And if you didnt go with a turbo kit, how much do you think you would gain if you went to pistons that had a comp or 13.5?

Old 07-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

You might gain 20hp with 13.5 pistons. You'll have to run water injection though cause there will be issues with detonation. Also the stock starter might not kick it over. As far as turbos, ya almost gotta go with a kit unless you're a whiz at math and metal fabrication. The plenum, intercooler, up tube, turbo, fuel pump, fuel regulator and injectors all gotta be matched and work together -- not to mention fit in such a small space. That's why they're so expensive -- research is $$$$$.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:49 PM

Water injection? So, with 13.5 pistons would I have to run it ALL the time? What about 13.0 pistons?

Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Let me backstep just a hair. If you custom map a power commander to throw it enough gas at speed you might be o.k. at 13.5 but you'd have to run race gas -- personally I wouldn't run anything higher than 12.5 . Have you considered heavy duty pistons and a 40HP shot of NOS? When tuned correctly it'll give you maybe 60hp over stock and it'll be reliable.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:34 PM

I have considered it, but havent really found a good......place to put a tank. I see a few new bikes coming with 12.9 pistons. I do have a pc3 power commander, so im sure the fuel part would be ok.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

What new bike is coming out with 12.9 stock? An aluminum head will dissipate a lot of heat but 12.9 is just insane for stock. My 1000RR is 11.9 : 1 and if I don't use the good stuff it grumbles a bit.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:07 PM

no offense but a turbo on a 599CC motor is a little stupid. A 600 is a good bang for the buck but it sounds like you need a larger bike with some work. Basically what your trying to do is put a bunch of money into something when for less money you could have something better with a larger engine. I would stick to head work and minor improvements before you spend 2500 plus on a turbo. Now I fabricated two turbo kits before one for a Car and for a sponsered project ATV and your really need to know your metal and your ****. And it will cost alot less then a kit but then you need to dish out money for mapping and blueprinting the motor and even have some custom parts made and sit there for countless hours fine tuning it. Do what you wish but this would be the same thing as putting a turbo on a civic, when for the same price of the car and the tubro you could have just bought a car that allready does the speed your looking for.

Kev

Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Ya but imagine lining up next to a ZX12 and blowin' him outta the water[8D]

Quick Reply: Higher Comp. pistons.....