F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIDs illegal?

Yes HIDs are illegal in every state, aftermarket HIDs that is. You can retrofit your headlights thats perfectly legal as long as its DOT, most cops won't know if its factory or aftermarket unless its a really crummy job.

Id do projectors in the bike then HIDs.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Yes HID kits are illegal. They're especially annoying when put in a regular reflector housing as mentioned before. Since there is no focusing, the light is refracted everywhere. the ones u see in cars with reflector housings such as older TL's are a diff type of HID than the aftermarket kits. they have a shielding to focus the light better and reduce the glare, just throwing this out there before someone brings it up.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM

If you put HID's in non-projector housinging your an idiot, and you SHOULD BE PULLED OVER. Its honestly a really ignorant and immature thing to do.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Mwall

If you put HIDs in non-projector housinging your an idiot, and you SHOULD BE PULLED OVER. Its honestly a really ignorant and immature thing to do.
ThereARE HID lights meant for reflector housings. They do a fine job also, if they are designed for HID. Projectorsgenerally look better, but if the reflector is meant for HID they also work well.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
July 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Mwall

If you put HID's in non-projector housinging your an idiot, and you SHOULD BE PULLED OVER. Its honestly a really ignorant and immature thing to do.
Thanks, noob.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 PM

On the flip side, it is comforting knowing that other cars CAN see riders when they have HIDs. Is someone else's safety more important than your own?

To be alive, or not to be: that is the question.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM

I really agree with this (not putting HID's in a halogen housing). The glare that it creates is a big issue for other drivers. That is the reason I won't be doing an HID retrofit on my bike unless I get a set of HID projectors. If you are blinding other drivers with the glare from your headlights, doesn't bode well for your own safety. I'm not talking about blinding them just because your light is brighter than normal, but the extra light isn't being directed properly to the road.... its going into the eyes of other drivers. Some guy did a really nice projector retrofit a couple months ago and was selling it for a good price. If I had the money, that's what I would do.

I really think people should re-evaluate doing HID swaps with the stock halogen housings...
There are cars that come factory with HIDs that are not in projectors, take for example my buddys acura cl. And no, I'm not an idiot btw, and if i was, it wouldn't be because i installed different headlights than came factory so that i could see better, be seen better, and make my bike look better.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: jutsin

I really agree with this (not putting HID's in a halogen housing). The glare that it creates is a big issue for other drivers. That is the reason I won't be doing an HID retrofit on my bike unless I get a set of HID projectors. If you are blinding other drivers with the glare from your headlights, doesn't bode well for your own safety. I'm not talking about blinding them just because your light is brighter than normal, but the extra light isn't being directed properly to the road.... its going into the eyes of other drivers. Some guy did a really nice projector retrofit a couple months ago and was selling it for a good price. If I had the money, that's what I would do.

I really think people should re-evaluate doing HID swaps with the stock halogen housings...
There are cars that come factory with HIDs that are not in projectors, take for example my buddys acura cl. And no, I'm not an idiot btw, and if i was, it wouldn't be because i installed different headlights than came factory so that i could see better, be seen better, and make my bike look better.

Find me a car with factory HID bulbs w/o projectors. There is a difference between sylvania silverstars(halogen, witch the acura has) and HID's.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Find me a car with factory HID bulbs w/o projectors. There is a difference between sylvania silverstars(halogen, witch the acura has) and HID's.
That was easy, I own one. Look at any 2004 to 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan or any 2003-2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Reflectors with a 4300K HID system. Why do you think they make D2S and D2R bulbs? One is meant for projectors, one for reflectors!

Changing your headlights to HID in a halogen housing certainly does not make you an idiot, but it does cause greater risk for others on the road. Yes, you can see better, but if you happen to be blinding the cars or bikes coming toward you, that could end very poorly for them. What if a corner was coming up and they could not see it because the glare from an improper HID setup prevented them from seeing it and they drove straight off the road? Might be an extreme example, but the point remains. I reiterate though, changing to HID from a halogen housing does NOT make you an idiot, but certainly could be taken as inconsiderate to other drivers.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 PM

edit: Put both responses in one post above

Quick Reply: HIDs illegal?