F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs illegal?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs illegal?

I have been hearing a lot lately about people getting pulled over that have HIDs installed? I just installed some 6000k in mine the other day and have had no problems yet. Anyone have experience (tickets) from running HIDs in your bike?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Default RE: HIDs illegal?

Not in the two years I've had them on, no. Technically they are illegal, though.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

How is a oem product [every german luxo car comes with em now] illegal? I've never heard this before from any forum or my two cop friends...

Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Any modified headlight from what came from the factory is against the law.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 PM

yes and no they just annoy cops and on bikes u can always get away withthem but cars cops will give u a maintenace of lamps ticket which states all lights and illuminating devices must be in a clean state and in proper working order i got pulled over with my car and the cop said they are a pet pieve of his but i won in court twice by the same officer who wrote the citation

Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 PM

They changed the law re: modified headlights. I know because I used to mod cars, I'm not sure on motorcycles but on cars they threw out that law so you can have pink headlights if you want as long as they are not red/blue and too obnoxious to otherside drivers. Oh, this is in CA btw.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM

i dunno up here in WA ive always been told that they r illegal but ide rather get a ticket then not b seen and get smashed

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 PM

The biggest thing I hear is that you're not supposed to put HID's in a halogen housing. Then again, we're not supposed to do a lot of things.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Yeah Id rather be annoyingly noticable than not though.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: ANGHondo

The biggest thing I hear is that you're not supposed to put HID's in a halogen housing. Then again, we're not supposed to do a lot of things.
I really agree with this (not putting HID's in a halogen housing). The glare that it creates is a big issue for other drivers. That is the reason I won't be doing an HID retrofit on my bike unless I get a set of HID projectors. If you are blinding other drivers with the glare from your headlights, doesn't bode well for your own safety. I'm not talking about blinding them just because your light is brighter than normal, but the extra light isn't being directed properly to the road.... its going into the eyes of other drivers. Some guy did a really nice projector retrofit a couple months ago and was selling it for a good price. If I had the money, that's what I would do.

I really think people should re-evaluate doing HID swaps with the stock halogen housings...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HIDs illegal?