F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID problem! help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID problem! help!

I got McCulloch 8000K HID's on both my low and high beams. I have an 01 f4i.

I usually run both low and high all the time cuz I aimed my high beam down to the ground so it doesn't blind ppl. Just noticed my high beam isn't working anymore. When I turn the high beam switch on, the blue high beam light stays on... but there's no light coming out of it in the front.

Oh yeah, when the bike's on and I turn the switch to high beam, the high beam bulb flickers dim really fast for like 1/4 a second and that's it. That was this morning on my way to school. Now that I'm home, it doesn't even flicker at all anymore when I switch it on. Completely off.

I also recently changed my battery to a brand new one, if that helps.
Any help?

Could it be the bulb is dead and I just have to replace it? Or is it my whole HID kit for my high beam side?

Here's a video I recorded of it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoss09WQ7eI

Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Default RE: HID problem! help!

Any ez test provided that your back uses the same bulbs in both sides would be to switch the bulbs around and see if it works in the low beam side, If it doesn't work in the low beam side and the bulb that was working in the low beam side works in the high beam side then it's just the bulb. Now if it works in the low beam side and the bulb from the low beam side doesn't work in the high beam side then you may have a short some where or worst the ballast for the high beam side went out.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM

i would try switching the ballast. if both ballast works then it might be the bulb. i would try bulb but it might go out again. OR wiring problems on the bike itself.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:15 AM

Yeah that's a great idea, same thing I said just a lot easier. That brings to mind that V8 commercial....I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
July 2008 ROTM

*smacks Rock in the forehead*

Last time I had an HID flicker like that, it was the bulb. But do the above check to see where your problem is, then fix it

Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Do you flash your brights at people? HIDs are not meant for intermittent use, they tend to burn out rather quickly if you turn them on and off quickly.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM

hey Rock, did you know that your signature has "Fender" spelled wrong? Not Finder, Fender.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM

No I didn't, thanks man.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Liquidpjear

Do you flash your brights at people? HIDs are not meant for intermittent use, they tend to burn out rather quickly if you turn them on and off quickly.
Nope... never ever do flash them. Also... my high beams are aimed down towards the ground, so it's technically not high beams anymore. hehe.

But yeah, I know the rule about never flicking HID's on and off.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Oh yeah, one more question. Is it hard to change the bulbs on an 01 f4i? I seriously hate taking off the front fairing cuz last time I did... I couldn't put it back together since it was all tight inside. Possible on changing bulbs without taking off fairings?

Quick Reply: HID problem! help!